Saturday, October 12, 2024

Hobby Update: Flat Terrain

The doubles tournament back in late June introduced the Wisconsin folks to low-height difficult terrain. As a Herd player, my joy was immeasurable. The Herd is hard to play as anything but an aggressive army, and it pays a premium for their Pathfinder rule, which only interacts with Difficult Terrain. Bumming around with a single forest is not a great time for them. The low-height stuff seems really interesting as it should break up the board while not further penalizing shooting. 

I have terrain and mats for four tables, but none of this nifty flat stuff, so I started hobbying on some new terrain in July, making a small detour to build up some other stuff to donate to the shop the league usually meets at. I am finally calling the rest of these done.

Each table has a little more than it needs, in order to run something unique in terms of terrain ratios, while being able to pare it down to the more official splits when desired.

My desert table gets one new piece of flat terrain. I was going for a bit of a "drying pool" effect, because of the desert. Eh, I think it works ok. It's terrain.

I have a verdant, forest heavy table which also gets a new piece, a circular pool.


I have two "spooky" tables, which I want to combine for any mega battles. I decided to make one of them more boggy for when it gets used on its own, so it gets two pieces. Here we have half pearl "bedazzlers" for bubbling muck, and a number of Ghoul hands leftover from previous conversions. 


Bridging the gab between the two tables is a combination of muck and debris, using a lot of spare bits.


And then for the other spooky table I wanted to go for more of an old battleground feel. I took a ton of old bits, basing paste, and skulls and just arranged things. Getting things more drab and muted was hard, so I eventually gave up on some of it. I wasn't quite sure what to do with the shields. For the Chaos shields, I opted to just run some fun colors, and for the more medieval ones, I was watching some AOE2 while hobbying, and decided to free-hand a few of the civilization symbols for fun. 

The spooky tables already had a bunch of graveyards that I had been using as Height 1 difficult terrain to try something different a few years back, so those tables in particular probably didn't need these additions as well, but it's been fun nonetheless. My terrain storage boxes have become black holes for miscellaneous hobby things the last year or two though, so we'll probably see more terrain soon as I do a bit of an inventory and reorganizing over the winter months. And hey, maybe we'll see some of these things on the board for some battles too!

No comments:

Post a Comment