Friday, October 18, 2024

Hobby Update: Third Guardian Brute Horde

Up now are a third horde of Guardian Brutes for the Herd! After a serendipitous search uncovered a NIB listing on ebay, I greedily snatched it up. They were my last big "I deserve a little treat" purchase for the summer months, though I have capitulated a few times in the fall months already.

The Horde! The scenic "river" lets either unit occupy the front of the unit tray.

The models are again Farrow Slaughterhousers from the Hordes line. As I understand it, these have been discontinued (and the game is in a bit of a revamp or relaunch?), so I count myself lucky to have picked up a third horde.

A regiment.

Hobby-wise, these got treatment similar to the other units. I have actually ran out of the Chaos Warrior head horns I used previously, but swapped in the old Marauder Champion’s horns instead, which worked about as well. Everything got the same, typical colors for the army, but I kept the coppery metal color off this time, to have some variation between units. I like them as hordes, but chose to use regiment bases, just for ease of hobbying up the bases. They are (still) metal models, and once painted up I utilized the stands for stability, and then added Milliput to make them less obvious. While the putty was curing (well, immediately after smushing it around the stand), I tore up cork board and pressed it in, to try and get a little more visual interest going in. The basing was done as normal with a textured paste painted up, then a snow effect, and then the watery / ice effect and then a few tufts at the very end.

Another regiment.

On the table, these have had some rotten luck recently with some very hot dice and Nerve Checks against them, but I still like the unit, and still think it is a pretty strong pick for the Herd, even without items. While I praised balanced lists in the recent Sylvan Kin game, and should go in that direction with the Herd, I still have a couple of other unbalanced and unwieldy Herd lists to explore, including mass Centaurs, triple Spear Hordes, and now Triple Guardian Brutes. We’ll see how my Herd play develops, and I’ll try to get these on the table sometime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment