Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Hobby Update: Donated Terrain

Up now is some extra terrain! A lot of the league games and meetups have been out at Oddwillows. It's a nice shop, but still finding their feet with wargaming. We've been bringing our own terrain for game days, and I figured it might be helpful to leave some terrain there, so folks didn't have to lug so much back and forth to the store.


I geared the terrain for Kings of War, fbut tried to make it a little generic, so the shop could get a little more use out of it. I went for a gross swamp theme to make this a bit unique.

I figured buildings are the easiest wargaming terrain to come by, so I slacked here, building up just an outhouse as a bit of a test piece. It's a tiny building, but I figured there might be a skirmish game that needs something smaller, or we might be able to play around with Height 3 blocking terrain or something. We'll see.

Both the outhouse and the obstacles came as extras from the Sprue Dude, a nice sprue shop online and on ebay. For both, I painted the wood up normally with some light browns, and then hit them with a tan drybrush, and then an ivory drybrush to get the aged wood effect. Once this was done, I went back with both a brown wash and then a green wash to get the bottom third of the structures “mucky” and discolored. The last step was going in with the Acrylic Glazing Medium (more on that in the Mud how-to post) to make is shiny and gross. I didn’t take too many pictures of the terrain, but I was really happy with how it all turned out. I’ll try to get some better pictures in some future battle reports.

The hills were all of my larger leftover foam insulation chunks. They were hobbied up like all my other hills, which you can read about here.

The trees were (I think) from a railroad kit, just spindly hunks of plastic. I took flat Wizkids bases, and then used plastic cement to bond the trees to it. Whittled sprues were used as roots and supporting pieces, and bits of green stuff were smushed in to hide the joins here and there. This got primed, dry brushed with all the colors already mentioned, and then some washes were splashed in between the roots to give it the same damp effect.

The larger forest parts were just blobby MDF bases. They were primed to seal them, and then I hit them with texture paste and then PVA glue and rocks, a thinned layer of PVA glue to harden everything up, and then more primer and lots of dry brushing.

The Doubles Tournament last month was fun, and made good use of flat / Height 0 terrain, so I wanted to duplicate that here, to get more terrain on our tables. Wanting the terrain to be a little versatile, I snipped some coffee stir sticks and added them as planks. This should give the terrain some more interest for use skirmish games and such I think? The bubbles were fun, and came from a half-pearl rhinestone “bedazzling” kit I bought online. It’s a neat effect. I had some hands leftover from the Abyssal Ghouls, and added a few in here for some more visual interest. The little bog got a green, splotchy paint job and then the Acrylic Glazing Medium was applied liberally and allowed to set overnight.


Overall, I was really happy with how these all came out. This collection was left at the shop and will hopefully see some use soon. I’m working on more height 0 or flattish terrain (apparently there is a difference, per my questions on the forum) for my existing personal collection and tables. Those pieces are a little more involved, but I will try to get those done soon too!

No comments:

Post a Comment