Thursday, July 21, 2022

Hobby Update: Ogre Warlocks, Boomers and Siege Breakers

The Stormcast Ogres are really coming along quickly now, but need some leadership. I got one caster mini (a Knight Incantor, I think?) from a magazine, and this was my test model for the army. I picked up bodies and bits for two more on ebay, They were missing heads and pauldrons so were pretty cheap. Having bought the Shooters new, I fortunately had some spare bits to make use of the bodies, and will run all of them all as Ogre Warlocks. 

Not the best picture, with we have some warlocks with staves.

These heroes are based on rounds, just placed atop some 40mm square MDF bases. The MDF square got most of the same treatment a tray would: a bit of paste, brown base coat, then some greys for dry brushing. I figured I would leave the tufts off them. I feel like they would just get banged up. 

The Warlocks are pretty neat in 3rd Edition. They are spellcasters with Inspiring and Lightning Bolt 3 as a base. They also have 2 attacks, CS1 and Brutal, so may be able to contribute more than usual if they are disordered by something. I wouldn't aim to get them into combat, but it's neat to see that as a potential option I suppose.

Next up the the Boomers, who should be at home just about anywhere. They have 4+ to hit with melee or ranged attacks, and Steady Aim too! They also have CS1 and Piercing, so should put out some reliable damage where ever they are. With only 12" range on the Boomsticks though, they will likely see a mix of action each game. 

Castigators as Boomers. The magic grenade things don't look too aerodynamic.

One unit is just the Easy Build box, the others were picked up already assembled on ebay, as I found them for cheap and went "why not?" All the Easy Builds have pretty complex bases, but I think things are working together overall. 

My last regiment of Boomers are some Easy Build Farstriders, picked up a long while ago, with the aim to trade a few games of Warhammer Underworlds for small games of Kings of War. They aren't great matches but looked similar enough to the Castigators with something that shoots and had more vertical bow limbs that I figured I would use them as "fancy Boomers", with a magic item like Sir Jesse's Boots of Striding or something. Everything about them is a bit "extra" and I dig that.

Farstriders, as fancy Boomers. 

And then lastly for today we have these... Annihilators, I think they are called? They looked like pretty ideal Siege Breakers, so picked them up despite the $30 new-on-sprue price. 
 
Big shields!

Siege Breakers have been a pretty highly regarded unit, with their great stats and good abilities. A regiment is not the best way to run them, but that's what I got. I don't feel like buying any more right now, so this will have to do.

My weird assortment of units should now be a bit over 2k? That's not bad for a loaner army and a side-project over the last few months. The easy painting scheme has definitely helped speed things along, and we are most of the way through everything. Just a little more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment