Monday, January 2, 2023

Hobby Update: More Stormcast Ogres

I quite enjoyed my first foray with the Stormcast Ogres, despite the ultimately poor showing. I mused a lot about what I would want to do with that collection, as well as speculated on how more normal folks might typically play the army. I think there is potential for some neat games here, and so picked up a few deals as I saw them in November and December. Everything was secondhand from ebay, and arrived primed, which was nice as I did most of the painting for these a few days prior to Christmas, when we had "Feels Like -35 Degrees Fahrenheit With the Wind Chill" weather warnings going on. Priming would not have been advisable.

Reinforcements for the Stormcast Ogres!

For the former, how I want to play, I decided that I wanted to goof around with Regiments more. Who would have guessed I would be inclined to such a thing... I already have a good number of Warrior Regiments (Liberators), and decided that the newer Praetors would be very convincing Warriors with two-handed weapons, easier to get than more Sequitor bundles, and more wysiwyg than the Retributors I had. I found some broken Praetors discounted, and picked those up. If I find I like this variant of the Warriors on the table, sprues of the Praetors are still pretty cheap, and I can probably pick more up in the springtime when I can prime again.

For the latter, how normal people play, Ogre Siege Breakers are probably a must-have unit, and I think most generals would want at least two hordes. The quality of the unit is just solid, with great Defense from the front via the Big Shields, and with Crushing Strength 2 to let them do some real work in melee. I am using Annihilators, and found a handful of very cheap bundles online, due to them being either broken, or assembled poorly, and so I sprung, grabbing up three more trios over two months.

Included in an Annihilaror bundle was some newer, more special magic user from the Stormcast range. I don't know what it is exactly, but it was a nice bonus for me, and I think it should make for a good Nomagarok, the unique Ogre magic user, as the mask does stand out from the other Warlocks I am using. He costs a lot, but gets more spells (Heal, Bane-Chant, and Lighting Bolt), and has a modified Ogre Warlock rule, letting nearby units boost the additional spells too, which is great. I think it will be worth messing around with him in the future.

The holidays were very productive for my hobbying, but this does it for the Stormcast Ogres for now! All their minis are painted up (again), and we are off to a good start against the unpainted grey legions for 2023!

No comments:

Post a Comment