Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Kings of War 3rd Edition: #022: Varangur vs Salamanders [Invade]

Intro and Lists

I was fortunate to make a trip over to Milwaukee to get a pair of weekend games in! We were a little overconfident with our time management, so kudos to my opponent for sticking it out and spending the whole darn day with me rolling dice. With his 3d printer, his Salamanders collection has been steadily growing. He brought the following for our first game of the day:

As is typical for his lists, the two terrifying Rhinosaur Cavalry hordes return. One retains the typical Boots of Striding, as Pathfinder/Strider are still powerful abilities, and the other explores the Helm of the Drunken Ram. I like the Boots, but on the Rhinosaurs, I think the Helm is overkill.

My opponent wanted to explore some infantry regiments, so brought two regiments of Ancients (Def6 themselves), a regiment of Ceremonial Guard (Def5 and Phalanx) and a regiment of Primes, who were demoted from being a more interesting unit to save on points. Supporting these would be two Mage Priests, one with Heal & Fireball and one with Bane Chant & Fireball, as well as an Ancient Phoenix. 

The final units in this very elite list are a pair of Clan Lords on Fire Drakes, with one having the Brew of Sharpness, as is usual. With the demotion of the Primes, the other Clan Lord gets a toy as well, and will be playing around with Blessing of the Gods. One fighty Clan Lord has typically been problematic for my lists given the high Nerve with high mobility, so two was going to be tough!

I opted to run the Varangur this time, running the list above. I figured this army should keep things more simple on my side of the table (no full-time fliers, or especially tricky things) and this would let me explore some of the units I had been hobbying on over the holidays, like the Draugr and the New Magnilde. This is only the third game with the Varangur, so everything is up for testing again:

  • Draugr. Their debut! One will run interference for the Huscarls, and I am hoping the other two will be cheap drops and objective sitters. We'll see how they perform!
  • Huscarls. These should be about on par with the newer (nerfed) Undead Soul Reavers, so should have potential if I can keep them alive to fight something important. Will they do so? 
  • Mounted Sons. Crushing Strength on cavalry seems pretty great, and I think they have potential to win their fights even if they don't get the charge in. Will they?
  • Frostfang Cavalry. They have not performed well previously, getting shot off multiple times before connecting with anything. But I wanted to give them one more go. Maybe not fighting in an open field against triple siege artillery would let them do something this game? Not wanting to sink a ton of points into them again, I gave them only the blade of slashing. My only goal with them was to have them charge something. Charging anything is fine, but bonus points will be awarded if the target does not have phalanx!
  • Magus Conclaves. I also think these have potential, though my previous attempt had them mostly shooting at incoming flying and disrupting heroes... so I am not quite sure how these perform against units. Will I be able to focus-fire on any units this game? Will they kill anything outright, or are they better for softening things up?
  • Snow Foxes. Speedy and annoying, will these be used well, or die for no reason? I think one critique of my own play has been to take too much chaff, which works for trying out lists, but paring the chaff down could be good for improving my play. 
  • Magnilde. She has been very reliable, so we'll see how the new model does, and what might be learned from the combats she enters and when I pop the one-per-game fly.
  • Lords on Frostfang. These have underperformed recently. The dice can be abysmal, but I also think I am using them wrong somehow? We'll see if I can gain any more insight on these this game.

Going into the game, I knew my opponent had a very high-quality list. However, I felt I had an edge with having some disposable chaff units, more drops overall, and a very slight edge with overall Unit Strength. I also had an advantage at range, which I would need to utilize. I would need to play a good game, but if a) my Conclaves did well early and removed a unit or two, b) I used my chaff well, and c) I focused on the scenario, I felt I could win, even against these two big and scary fliers. 

Table, Deployment and Scenario 

The shop was apparently brand new, and has been open for about a week. It was a neat set-up with a few "meeting" nooks for RPGs, and a handful of tables for wargaming. Our table was about and inch and a half short for width, and try as we did, the depth seemed off as well. We each re-measured our 12" zone a few times, pushing back the same units over and over. I don't know what was going on, but we eventually gave up after our third attempts at tidying ourselves up behind our respective lines.

The terrain at the shop is very nice, but skewed towards 40k, so we ditched all the industrial buildings, kept some cool looking rocks, and I ran out to my car to get some forests and hills. We ended up running the shop's neat tiered rocks as Height 9 blocking terrain, hills as Height 3, and Forests as Height 6 difficult terrain. We ditched obstacles and lower-height difficult terrain for these games. I wanted to see how it felt to skew away from more traditional terrain, with an eye to making some themed tables in the future.

For deployment, the rocks really broke up the board! It was kind of neat to get a "lane" effect in a few areas. They looked really nice too. My opponent tends to overload a flank, and largely neglected my far left this time, though a battle group of Ancients with the Ale, Ceremonial Guard, Bane Chant Mage Priest and the the Clan Lord on Fire Drake with the Blessing of the Gods were I guess technically on the left. The Ancient Phoenix had grown wise, and hit behind a tall outcropping of rocks, ready to pivot and heal where needed in about the center of the board.

The Primes, Healing Mage Priest, and Ancients with the Healing Brew formed another infantry battle group to the right of the Phoenix. Out on the far-right flank were both Rhinosaurs and the Clan Lord with Brew of Sharpness. It was a pretty typical deployment for my opponent, excepting the new, second flying Clan Lord.

The view from the left.

My left had Snow Foxes, Draugr on a hill screening my Frostfang Cavalry, more Snow Foxes, a Lord on Frostfang, the third Snow Foxes, a second unit of Draugr and some Mounted Sons. I used the rocks to help break up my line as well, and my right consisted of the other Lord on Frostfang, angled for speed, the three Magus Conclaves hoping to soften up targets here, then the other unit of Mounted Sons, Magnilde, and Draugr screening the Huscarls out on my far right. 

The view from the right. The windows on the right are all south-facing, so it got to be a warm day.

Overall, I was pretty happy with things? My early drops were all Foxes and Draugr that teased out his infantry. We had rolled up Invade for the scenario, so generally liked my chances as my opponent fished their deployment. I had early shots into the Rhinosaurs on the hill and a decent spread around the battlefield. I won the roll-off, and chose to go first, to try and leverage the Conclave's shooting.

Top of Round 1: Varangur

I was quite happy to seize the Top of the Rounds, given my Conclaves, though results were mixed as they wove their blood magiks against the Rhinosaur Cavalry cresting the far hill. One did 3 damage, one did 0, and one did 1 damage. I don't know the math to know what to expect out of them on average, nor do have I used them enough to get an intuitive feel for how they should be doing. Hopefully it will add up?

Shots from the Conclaves as the faster elements of the Varangur zone out the Salamanders.

Otherwise, things moved up for the Varangur. On the right, the Lord on Frostfang respected the charge ranges, hanging back an extra inch. Protected by the tall rocks, the Mounted Sons move up a bit, ready to split either way depending on how aggressive my opponent was. And out on my far flank, the non-shambling Draugr moved up at the double, towing the Huscarls and Magnilde behind. 

I figured my opponent would be coming down the flank pretty hard, so my plan here over the next few turns was to start a trade. Rhinosaurs take the Draugr; Magnilde then pops fly to charge and disrupt the  very tall Clan Lord while the Huscarls mince the Rhinosaurs. Disrupted, hopefully the Clan Lord can't break Magnilde, and together, she and the Huscarls can beat the Clan Lord in the next fight. My opponent does this super-heavy flank approach nearly every game we have played, so you'd think I'd have developed a better counter to it, but this is the best I have here. 

The Frostfang horde takes the hill. Will they see combat this game?

In the center, the second regiment of Mounted Sons move up, ready to split towards either grouping of Salamander infantry. Snow Foxes are lagging behind, and the Draugr move up at the double, looking to to hopefully zone out that little forest for my charges in the coming turns, blocking the path so my units are forced to avoid the hazard, thus getting clean charges.

I was expecting the left to be the overloaded flank, so I deployed the Frostfang Horde here. They arrived before the Rhinosaurs did though, so things are a little clumsy out here and I don't have a lot of quality units on this end of the table. I don't think my opponent is above yolo'ing his second Clan Lord into something out here, so the Varangur respect charge distances. A unit of Draugr is moving to block out the forest, and I keep a unit of Snow Foxes around to chaff up and protect things. 

Also on my left, the Draugr abandon the hill for the Frostfang Cavalry, and with the final unit of Snow Foxes, are eyeing up my opponent's back corner to go and play the scenario. 

Bottom of Round 1: Salamanders

The Ancient Phoenix still cowers behind the rocks, but a Mage Priest shifts slightly to heal the Rhinosaurs a bit, though I did not get the math. Largely, my opponent actually decides to hold their position. The Rhinosaurs + Clan Lord on the far right move up a few inches to threaten a charge into the Draugr next turn, but otherwise, things hang back, daring me to over-extend.

Surprised at how quick the turn comes back to me, I take no notes, and no pictures.

Top of Round 2: Varangur

Largely, I take the bait. On the left, the Foxes and Draugr move on, looking to play the scenario. The Frostfangs gallop off the hill, with the Snow Foxes in front to complicate any multi-charges. I don't think there was a way to protect them from the flying Clan Lord given the smaller base size of the Snow Foxes, , so my Lord on Frostfang backs up, threatening a possible flank, should my opponent try and take a corner of the Frostfang horde. I feel like this is the best I can do with the deployment I gave myself.

The Frostfangs are quite big. And tall.

Nearer the center, a unit of Snow Foxes scampers up to protect the flank of the Mounted Sons, who if you could not tell due to the blurry picture, had moved up to commit to fighting the infantry blocks on my left. Goofing my notes and thinking the closest unit was Speed 4 Ancients, I am 9" away, and feeling smug. Spoiler, these are Primes, so this is an error on my part. I had the inches to hold back, and should have.

A blurry shot, with the foxes trying to tank.

On the right, my opponent had inched up with the Rhinosaurs and Clan Lords, threatening to charge next turn. Hoping to drag them behind the canyon wall, the trio of Draugr, Magnilde and Huscarls advanced, as the Draugr are too slow to charge this time. The stack and plan is still working though.

Using the rocks to protect themselves, the second regiment of Mounted Sons move to threaten charges against the Salamander infantry next turn, as does the Lord on Frostfang. Given the angles, I am safe from Rhinosaur charges next turn.


The Sons are giving cover against one Conclave volley, but the other two are unobscured. The enemy cavalry got healed a for a few pips last turn, but I am able to do another 3-4 on my turn, getting them up to 6 or 7 damage in total. The Rhinosaurs stick around, but I am still hopeful I can remove them before they can reach a  meaningful combat against me.

Bottom of Round 2: Salamanders

On the right, we have a fight! The Rhinosaurs crash into the Draugr, and obliterate them, as expected, and even opts to hold. The Clan unfortunately moves up snugly against them (denying Magnilde an opening) while tossing a flame breath attack against the Huscarls. The intervening Rhinosaurs should  be tall enough to provide cover, and only two damage is done.

The Primes reveal themselves! My bad. My opponent did go over everything and I did write it down, and just failed to double-check myself when moving. Entire my good here.

What I thought were Ancients were in fact Primes, and they will charge out against my central group of Mounted Sons, catching them in the front, disordering them while dealing 4 damage. My bad there.

The real Ancients scoot forward, knowing their own strength and daring charges. With the terrain and slow Ancients, the Rhinosaurs are a little blocked up, but anything that charges the Ancients should get a devastating multi-charge next turn since things can shuffle around. The Ancient Phoenix and Mage Priest now both focus healing on the Rhinosaurs, and heal them up to full health. Yikes, there goes all my hope there, as well as two full turns of shooting from the Conclaves.

And we have fighting on the left flank too!

The Ceremonial Guard can see the corner of the Draugr around the forest, and charge through it to reach them, dealing 3. I forget about Iron Resolve, so all the damage sticks on the zombies.

With the Ancients body-blocking, the second Clan Lord spews fire at the Frostfang Cavalry. Given the great heights of the units, there is no cover, and four damage is done.

Top of Round 3: Varangur

I throw the Frostfang Horde and Lord into the Ancients, and thankfully I am able to smash them up in one go. I figured the Clan Lord would be gunning for the wounded horde, so I think the Frostfangs overrun and the Lord backs up. I'm not sure if that is the right call. It is hard to contain a heavy flier, and the Clan Lord can do whatever they want next turn. 

I forgot to move the Snow Foxes in the back field this turn. I wanted to try and sweep wide and threaten for sly rear-charges, but just totally forgot about them.

The Draugr countercharge the Ceremonial Guard, hoping to pin the unit on my opponent's side of the table for the scenario. The forest loosely demarcates the center line, so neither of us are scoring, so with the weaker unit, I am happy. Unable to sneak on by due to terrain and enemy units, the Snow Foxes flank charge the Ceremonial Guard. I don't think much is done. In retrospect, I think it might have been better to disengage, and force another hindered charge. If the Lord on Frostfang backs up, that might threaten a (hindered) flank charge into the Ceremonial Guard as well. I think I need to prioritize their survivability, since they are cheap tar pits. Charging is not what they are there for! First time Draugr problems.

The Mounted Sons were surprised by the speed of the Primes, but crack back with a vengeance. They have 18 attacks, and on 3's and 4's are able to trounce the Primes, who are uninspired. This was a shock to me, and I am very pleased. Having CS on cavalry is great, and both Mounted Sons regiments threaten to be a terror next turn with unhindered charges.

Combats on the right.

I had planned on charging the plucky Primes with both regiments of Mounted Sons, but the advancing Ancients + terrain had blocked me out. I decided to hold them back entirely, to give the Magus Conclaves something to do this turn. They do all shoot, but I don't recall how much damage is done. These are Def6 Ancients after all. Not much damage lands, and the Ancients stick around.

I decide to make a risky charge with the Lord on Frostfang into the bunched up Rhinosaurs. Had they not been healed to full, this would have been a decent call. However, fully healed, I don't expect to do anything with this combat, except tie them up for a turn, or two, if I am lucky.

On the far-right, Magnilde and the Huscarls combo-charge the Rhinosaurs. If memory serves, the new Magnilde turns out to be quite shy, and only deals 1 damage. The Huscarls do better, but flub a bit as well, and it is nowhere near enough damage to be concerning. Checking the math, the Huscarls should do about 8-9 damage on average, so my initial plan was too ambitious here. Together they actually had a shot, but it did not pan out due to the dice.

Bottom of Round 3: Salamanders

It was a quick but bloody turn, and I don't look to have snapped any pictures. Keeping with the right, the Rhinosaurs and Clan Lord declare a multi-charge against the Huscarls, with the Rhinosaur cavalry shuffling down to make room for the flying titan, Esh. The Huscarls are obliterated. We're not quite sure if we got it right, but decide that Magnilde popped free of the combat, since no one was fighting her this time. The Clan Lord overruns a few inches, aiming for my back field, and the Rhinosaurs back up, hoping to maneuver towards the center to contribute to those fights in the coming rounds.

The Rhinosaurs are disordered by the intrepid Lord on Frostfang, but strike back with 10 damage, wavering him. Checking the math... this is close to twice the damage one would usually expect in their condition.  A high number of quality attacks are no joke!

The Phoenix and Mage Priest hand out heals to each of the Rhinosaur units, but both still retain some damage.

On the left, the Clan Lord rips into the Frostfangs, and will rout them, turning to get the Lord on Frostfang into its front arc. I was expecting to survive one attack, but didn't. The Clan Lord rolled a little hot, proving again how nicely a high number of quality attacks can spike, and taking the Frostfangs from 4 to about 14-15 damage, so not much could be done. Even inspired, the Frostfang horde was easily dispatched when it came time to test.

The Ceremonial Guard will counter-charge the Draugr, gaining Bane Chant, and besting the frigid zombies in combat now that they are not hindered. They will turn to face the plucky Snow Foxes. This isn't great, but again, the unit isn't scoring yet, and there was not much else for the Foxes to do with spacing and angles and terrain last turn.

Top of Round 4: Varangur

I wasn't planning on losing the Frostfangs of Huscarls just yet, but I am still in it I think. Keeping on the left, I now remember my Snow Foxes, moving up. Unfortunately, since I didn't move at all last turn, I am a few inches shy of reaching the Mage Priest with Bane Chant with a charge on this turn. 

Not really wanting to fight the Clan Lord, I opt to have my Lord on Frostfang charge the Mage Priest with Bane Chant. Unfortunately, 6 of the 9 attacks fail to hit, and only 3 damage is done, and the Mage Priest is just disordered, and hangs on just fine. I was hoping to rout him and start a bit of a distracting dance against the Clan Lord... but at least I am out of its charge arc.

The Draugr are shuffling around the blocking rocks, while some Snow Foxes look to scamper after them, playing the scenario.

Both regiments of Mounted Sons charge into the front of the Ancients. The first regiment misses 10 of their 18 attacks; while the second misses 9 of their 18 attacks. I'm hitting on 3's! All this talk about quality attacks means nothing on my turn apparently. The Ancients hold easily, taking only 6 or so damage when the all dust kicked up by the hooves of the Varangur heavy cavalry settles. The Ancients are Ancients, and Def6 is quite tough, but I was really thinking I could break them this turn. 

Something something high number of quality attacks? Neither Mounted Sons regiment got the memo.

Alone, I don't like Magnilde's chances against the Rhinosaurs (at like, 4 damage) or sharp Clan Lord (untouched), but she can spot the towering Ancient Phoenix, and decides to pop her one-time fly, launching herself at the fiery beast and getting out of the way. She rolls up a lot of 2's, dealing only a few damage to the monster, and all of her Crushing Strength is wasted on the Defense 2 beast. Still, it is disordered.

Wavered, the Lord on Frostfang disengages, and backs up slightly. The Conclaves have all moved up to get out of the charge arc of the looming Clan Lord who was eyeing up my back field. We grant cover to all their shots into the Rhinosaurs, and they were not healed fully last turn, and the damage slowly starts to stack up, and two Nerve Checks of 11 are just enough to rout them from the field, so it's not all statistically bad for me this turn!

Bottom of Round 4: Salamanders

The Phoenix heals to full with some potent regeneration, fully shrugging off Magnilde's attacks. Cloak of Death and Radiance of life trigger, sapping from Magnilde and my wavered Lord and healing the nearby Salamanders.

Even disordered, the Ancient Phoenix is strong. I think that's 4 things healed, 2 hurt with it's auras, before landing a few hits on Magnilde.

The Rhinosaurs and sharp Clan Lord now both turn to face the center, threatening some serious flank charges against my Mounted Sons before the game wraps. For this turn though, the Clan Lord just shoots fire at my Lord on Frostfang. Only a few damage is dealt, though my Lord is unfortunately wavered again, as I was really hoping for a flank-charge into the Phoenix on my turn. Still, I'll gladly take the waver here over the rout my opponent was looking for.

The Ancients get a weaker heal from the Mage Priest if I recall, and then pop their healing Brew to heal to full. Yikes. He contemplates his options, but ultimately we figure out that with the same bases here, there is no way he can charge one unit of Mounted Sons and not get flanked by the other. With nothing able to help, he doesn't think he can even break the wounded Sons, and so ultimately disengages with the Ancients. Spacing being what it is, I will have no choice but to charge them again next turn, so the Ancients are buying a lot of time for my opponent.

The Clan Lord searches for another combat, ignoring all my scoring chaff.

Back out on the left, the other Clan Lord looks to fight, and turns to face my Lord on Frostfang, releasing a flamebreath and dealing 3 damage to him.

The maimed Mage Priest will slink away, while the Ceremonial Guard will slaughter the pesky Snow Foxes. The Guard will then overrun out of the woods to help finally threaten the flank of my Mounted Sons in the coming turns.

Top of Round 5: Varangur

On the left, my Lord on Frostfang doesn't have quite the distance to flee towards the center, and I didn't want to give my opponent any ideas of leaving his Clan Lord behind in the late game to mop up my scoring Draugr, so he valiantly turns to eat a charge. In retrospect, I probably should have tried to lead the Clan Lord away, using the double pivot and move of my lord to get out of the charge arc and threaten a rear charge into the Ceremonial Guard... I did not see this at the time. Elsewhere, Foxes flee and Draugr cower, hoping to survive to give me points in the scenario.

Healed to full? Let's try this again...

In the main fights, I again multi-charge the Ancients, roll average this time, and obliterate them. Their demise is a turn late, but it is what it is. The Mounted Sons wheel, turning mostly back-to-back to face off against the remaining Salamanders.

Wavered, the Lord on Frostfang still has the temerity to protect his soldiers. He changes facing, and will be able to block the Rhinosaurs from the Mounted Sons, since they will need one pivot to get around him. There is nothing I can do about the Clan Lord though.

Last stands for the Varangur cavalry.

The Conclaves spread out. The Rhinosaurs on on a hill, but being in their flank and with the blocking terrain, I think should get cover for most of this volley. They take some damage and I think are brought near to double-digits, but do hold.

Magnilde continues to swing away at the Ancient Phoenix, but nothing is sticking there against the regeneration. 

Bottom of Round 5: Salamanders

Disordered, the Phoenix continues to strike back at Magnilde, landing a few damage with each attack, and one per turn with the Cloak of Death. It's doing better than she is right now! One could argue that the Phoenix should be disengaging and running, but is is in a corner, and the Cloak/Radiance aura combo did a lot of work the last few turns.

The Rhinosaurs get a the Radiance of Life heal, and then a huge heal from the Mage Priest, bring them down to just 4 damage. The happily charge (and rout) my blocking Lord on Frostfang, while the sharp Clan Lord flies off the hill and down into the waiting Mounted Sons.

Back-to-back, the Mounted Sons hold!

The change in elevation must have gone to his head, because the Clan Lord misses hard, landing just 2 damage against the Sons. It is quite the miracle for the Varangur!

The other regiment of Mounted Sons hold, but do take 5 from the charging Ceremonial Guard.

Over on the left, the other Clan Lord charges my Lord on Frostfang, who takes damage but holds.

Top of Round 6: Varangur

My remaining Lord on Frostfang strikes back at the Clan Lord, and misses with 7 of his 9 attacks, and does no damage with the blows that do feebly connect. Yikes. So this Clan Lord isn't even disordered now, likely spelling d-o-o-m for my own Lord in the bottom of the round.

I didn't hit you on purpose. Why can't we be friends?

My Mounted Sons strike into the Ceremonial Guard, and I believe rout them. The had accumulated a handful of damage from the previous fights, and received no heals, so even against Phalanx, the Sons prevail, and turn to face the Rhinosaur and Clan Lord and support the other regiment.

The Conclaves should shoot at the Rhinosaurs, but I do not believe they rout them. 

Magnilde continues to strike at the Phoenix, but not much is landing or sticking still.

Bottom of Round 6: Salamanders

With the second attempts, the Clan Lord on the left break my Lord on Frostfang, and the one on the right is joined by the Rhinosaurs and breaks the Mounted Sons. On the right, the Clan Lord and Rhinosaurs have overrun into scoring position now.

We give the honors to my opponent, but we do not roll up a Round 7.

The Salamanders have the Rhinosaur Cavalry (US3) and Clan Lord (US1) over the line, granting a combined Unit Strength of 4. 

The Varangur have two Snow Foxes (US1 each) and one Draugr (US2) deep in the enemy deployment zone, also totaling a combined Unit Strength of 4. 

After a hard-fought couple of hours, it is a tie game!


Game Conclusions

My opponent tends to double down on what works, and as a result has played pretty consistent games every time. We talked a lot during the day, and he was pointing at his supporting units, like the Mage Priests and such as key elements in these newest versions of his army. Heals pair well with great stats, and he has a lot of synergies going on. 

I'd have to agree with him. If you look through any of the previous Salamander games on the blog, I believe I have consistently commented on how well he uses his little casters and individual heroes in our games. Even here, trying to disrupt them as well as the Phoenix, they held out and continued to give my opponent value. He is clever about supporting his units and getting value out of his heroes all game long. I think the Ancients are pairing well with this style, offering both a tanky unit and inspiring to these little infantry battle groups. 

Overall, I think I played a decent game and learned a fair bit about the Varangur again. Dice were dice, and the game was close throughout. This game could have gone either way, and had several chances to do so. We were both pleased with a close game and a tie!

Testing Conclusions
  • Draugr. They did alright, though as already mentioned, the Varangur do not need these to be charging and dealing damage. Wild Charging out to initiate a trade seems good, but the Draugr in the trees Round 3 should not have counter charged, and sought to prolong the fight. Additionally, I did not remember to trigger Iron Resolve on any unit, so that's a bit of a misplay. I think with their slower speed three was too many for this list, and they pair best with other infantry. 
  • Huscarls. They did ok, but obviously got destroyed by a brutal combo charge from my opponent's most scary units! They have a great potential damage output, but my plan with them soloing the Rhinosaurs was way to ambitious once I ran the math writing the report here. They need support like everything else, and while their Nerve is high for a regiment, it is still low enough to be quickly breakable by a dedicated attempt.
  • Mounted Sons. I am really liking these. Thunderous Charge is nice, but having some innate Crushing Strength on these cavalry units is fantastic. Unfortunately both whiffed at the same time in Round 4, but got some redemption in Round 5. Great units and great at picking fights.
  • Frostfang Cavalry. We're counting this as a successful outing! They made it into a combat, and were not fighting a unit with Phalanx! I forgot their Blade of Slashing, highlighting why I don't take too many items, but that didn't matter here. In previous games, their height was the issue, getting spotted by Siege Artillery. Their frontage was a concern this time, as there is no one unit that can protect them from enemy fliers or charges. Compared to the Mounted Sons I am paying 50 points for Strider and an expected two additional damage. I will still give them a charitable "match-up-dependent" rating, as they could have uses clearing out woods and such, but I am really starting to see these as more of a liability.
  • Magus Conclaves. These did ok, but these are still all war machines, I think you need to take all three to make them work. Focus firing should help, but as we saw, my opponent was able to heal through everything I was able to put out in the early game. I did not think of it at the time, but against lists with Heal it might be better to spread out and spread shots? I did not think of it on the day, so this will be something to test later. While it is just 5", I do like that they can move and shoot, so these will probably show up in the future for more testing.
  • Snow Foxes. They did ok. I think I should have been more patient with the one in the middle of the table, but overall, these did ok. 
  • Magnilde. She was unfortunately a little shy, and ultimately ended up in a pretty terrible match up for her. She was never going to have the damage to break the Phoenix, and the CS was wasted on it, so was stuck just disordering it every turn. Disordering was ok though, and I just couldn't get anything to help break the Phoenix. 
  • Lords on Frostfang. They had some lackluster dice in spots! I can't blame their showing on the dice though. Being monsters, I need to try to get them into the flanks of things and double those attacks, but I am largely using them as disrupting heroes. Yeah, great potential, but still not used well by me, generally speaking.
The game took much longer than expected, due to some issues on my end, so thanks to my opponent for graciously sticking it out, and then even sticking around for a second game. This was a very enjoyable day! The New Year is off to a good start for me and Kings of War, and the rematch will be posted soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment