Monday, December 26, 2022

Year in Review for 2022

I have been a bit spotty at writing these, and just as bad at giving them similar titles. These "Year in Review" posts have looked to loosely track my Kings of War goals for a given year: how much I get painted up, how much I play, and how much I wanted to get in for both categories for that year. Thus summarized for the old year, I would then look at what I was looking to do in the coming year. 

Big Recap for 2022 and Prior

The blog kicked off pretty strong, but I was in a Kings of War slump for a few years there, with very few games, leading to unmotivated hobbying, and just a little blogging. This lull can only be partially blamed on the pandemic, as it started before then. Things just were not coming together for me. I didn't really have any Kings of War goals over the last few years, so I don't have much to refer to as a  good benchmark for this post. 

For gaming, when I did have stated goals, I had been shooting for 12 games a year, or ideally once per month. That seemed like a good pace to start something going. Since the blog started in 2016, I never hit that goal once. In 2022 though, I nearly doubled it, and that's been great. It has been a ton of fun playing this game and seeing armies that I have not painted up myself. Not having to arrange the game, build both lists, and then teach the game as we go for every game I play has been wonderful. With less effort needed from me, this has let me explore writing battle reports more, and actually learn the game more, as opposed to kind of stumbling through it. Additionally I am often on the back foot and surprised by opponents, which is exciting and probably more entertaining for a battle report. 

For hobbying, for the years I was stating my hobby goals, I was largely porting stuff over from WHFB, repainting and rebasing it for Kings of War. Knowing what I already had around or had purchased, it was easier to set  those goals and track. Now, that is not the case! I have a nice variety of armies, and more than enough to play with and explore. While all will get new units here and there, I am not actively looking to greatly expand anything these days, and things will just be added as the mood strikes, so this goal and metric is probably past its usefulness.

New Goals for 2023

For Kings of War, I have four goals for 2023.

  1. Play 24 Games, and write 24 Battle Reports. I have reported on everything I have played, and I got close this year, so think if I can do it next year.
  2. Travel to an Event. Doesn't need to be a big one or even a full on tournament, but traveling for wargaming event is not something I have ever done, and think it could be a fun experience. I am likely going to have a lot to do this year, but we'll aim high here.
  3. Run my own event again. The July beat and Greet I put on was alright, and I think I can do something like that again this year, and hopefully with a few more attendees.
  4. Run a Mega battle. We'll count it if I can get 5,000 points per side. I don't know how likely this will be, but we'll see. 
So that's where I am at. I considered checking in with all my various armies, but would have about doubled the post length. Maybe we'll do some armies on parade or showcases or something in the future, but we'll keep it short and sweet for now.


Happy Holidays to you and yours, and thanks for stopping by. See you in 2023!

2 comments:

  1. Good list of goals and good write-up! I'm glad we connected in early and could get in so many games. I agree that it's much easier to just sit down and play and not be in the position where you have to teach, bring both armies, etc. With my sons, I'm often playing/GM'ing/teaching at the same time, and it's refreshing to get in a competitive game with another adult. Looking forward to many more in 2023!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As am I! I was very fortunate to have connected with you this year. I'm not sure I'll hit all the goals, but it will be fun trying! Happy New Year to ya, and cheers to more games in 2023!

      Delete