Monday, August 1, 2022

TastyBagel runs an Event - The July Beat and Greet

I have been trying to get a regular Kings of War play group going ... well, essentially since I started the blog. While I did get some games in here and there, I think it is safe to say that historically this goal has not gone well for me, but I am finally making some progress now in 2022 with 3rd Edition! This year has been nice, and I have found a handful of nearby people quite interested in the game. Unfortunately we are all a bit fragmented into tiny, disparate groups.

So, with my wedding behind me, I decided to start organizing a one-day event, aiming to get people  meeting up in person, playing some new folks, and trading contact info for getting more games in.

For this first ever event, I decided I wanted the focus to me on meeting people, not necessarily playing the most games or the largest games. An even 1000 points seemed like a good level for this event. A few fun toys should be able to show up in lists, but the scope of the games should be more limited, hopefully allowing us get in three games on the day without too much fuss or fatigue, as we are all pretty new at this.

Stuff for four tables all packed up!

I like enabling nerdy endeavors and can have a bit of a stubborn streak. So I decided to do all of the mats and terrain myself. I parsed my terrain into about 4 tables-worth of stuff, and even splurged on a cheaper 4th playmat in case we needed all four tables. As it turned out, that was a little presumptuous! We ended up with just 4 attendees, but that was still a good number, as each game could be against a new player. Plus now I am all organized and prepared for some larger future events!

The Old World campaign map. It all it's fuzzy, blurry glory.

The venue was Pegasus Games in Madison, WI, a old shop with new owners. They have been busy renovating and  expanding and I must say that things are looking pretty great! We played at a few shops during my Warhammer 8th Edition days, this one being primarily where where we ended up and the end of all that. We had a neat End Times Campaign going for a few months, battling over regions of the Old World and culminating in a mega-battle which I tried to coordinate with some mixed success. It was a learning experience but a lot of fun, and it was a nice flood of memories to see our old cork-board map in the game room, even unhung, as I was setting up.

The event was July 31st, and it went pretty well I think. I learned a fair amount. I didn't take a ton of pictures of my games as it turns out, but did have some stuff to test and should have enough photos to write up the battles I got in. Those should be up later this week, and southern Wisconsin hopefully have some more small events popping up in the coming months!

My Game 1 from the day can be found here.
My Game 2 from the day can be found here.
My Game 3 from the day can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment