Monday, August 8, 2022

Hobby Update: Last Ogres

And these are the final Stormcast Ogres! All 60ish of them are all painted and done now. Well, I guess technically some miscellaneous Gryph Hound minis are around and unpainted, but I'm deeming those as "extras" and not part of this little army project.

First, up we have a Warlord, which should be a Stormcast Lord Imperatant. Warlocks seem great for Ogre leadership, but I decided I wanted a legit leader, in case I did end up needing to use them army to trade games or to resell down the line. At around $9 on ebay, this seemed like a good buy for me, since I don't care about the AOS stats particularly.

The Warlord is not an individual, so positioning will be very important. I have a proper 40mm square base all painted up to utilize, but didn't have it on hand for this picture. I think more competitive lists would run the warlord on a chariot for the increased threat range, but I didn't want to deal with "counts-as" chariots for this army, so he'll remain on foot.

Bot bad! The speedpaint looks a little rough on large cloth, and I'm not 100% on the griffon cloak feathers, but all things considered, these were nice and easy to crank out over a few evenings.

Second, we have some Praetors, which I picked up new on sprue for fun as they were like $15, which I was ok with. There looks to have been a starter set of sorts, with these, the Imperatant and the Vindicators, but it still looks like I saved money buying things piecemeal, and saved some time since I am not prepared to try and resell anything. 

No clue what I would run these as, given the rest of my collection. These final units don't really fit with the Kings of War Ogre list. These could be Warriors with the weapon swap. They also seem like a neat Ogre Palace Guard from the Basilean list, though running them as allies and at a regiment size doesn't seem like a great choice. Regardless, they are here if I need them for something.

Lastly, we have some Stormcast Prosecutors, which I picked up back in the summer of 2020, once we stopped wiping down groceries. I liked the look of the models back when AoS launched, and figured I would pick some up second-hand just to play around with.

One unit of something.

They painted up ok, though the wings are a bit finicky. I think most folks paint the bodies and wings  up separately and attach them together later, but mine came assembled and I wasn't quite sure what the connection was, so just decided to deal with it. I started with gray wings, then dry brushed an off-white layer and then a white layer. My loose original plan was to then use a wash or speed/contrast paint on the wings, but decided to just leave them as-is. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, though think I might need to so back and repaint the meteors on the wings. The dark silver isn't looking as nice as I thought it would. Maybe some silver highlights or a switch to a fiery bronze might pop better?

A second unit of something.

These seemed like Elohi to me, but you can't ally those in, and these are an absolute nightmare to rank up! These three might need to be a horde given how much extra space each mini takes up. I have no clue how AOS works with these. So, I am a bit doubtful these will ever see play for Kings of War. I am kicking around some ideas for a mega battle though, with a reinforcement mechanic. Set these up  as good reinforcements opposite Wight reinforcements or something for the other side, and that might be dynamic and interesting. So hey, these may make it onto the table at some point, but not likely anytime soon.

And with that, I have paint on all my 60+ Stormcast Ogres! While writing up all the posts the last month or so, I have seen a few things I should touchup, and I want to uniformly paint up all the individual base rims still. This is my first "complete" army, with no other minis or units waiting in boxes, which is a kind of cool achievement after being in this wargaming hobby for a decade or more at this point! Even better for me, this all fits into a single storage box.


Excluding the Praetor and Prosecutor minis, since I don't know what I will run them as, I'm sitting at well over 2,500 points. The army is larger than I was shooting for! Still, this has been a good project, for two main reasons:
  • While converting from 40mm round bases to 40mm square trays isn't difficult, this army has been a big help in figuring some of the pitfalls of conversion out. Adding tufts and such seems like a good move to help unify the bases with the trays, and this will be helpful in the upcoming multi-system armies (Twilight Kin & Elves) that I am hoping to get around to at some point.
  • This army should be great for a loaner army or intro game. We're taking a well-recognized mini range and repurposing it for Kings of War, to highlight the unit-centric approach this game takes, as well as Mantic's openness to running other models, which I think is a big draw for the game, and I hope continues.
So, I will finish the touchups, and we'll see when some of these fancy Ogres might hit the table!

No comments:

Post a Comment