Thursday, June 13, 2024

Hobby Update: Herd Great Chieftain on a Chariot

While Druids + Bane Chant have been pretty good utility takes for the Herd, they definitely are not perfect, and I really need to explore some other sources of Inspiring if I want my Herd to succeed on the battlefield. So up now for the Herd is a Great Chieftain on Chariot!

The Chariot, in profile. Aside from the blues, very little was done, paint-wise.

Hobbying wise, the chariot is an GW Orc chariot with a GW Beastman swapped in to drive. The chariot was a steal on ebay, and just needed some minor touch-ups to get it looking like the rest of my Herd, like painting the boars blue. The driver is a just a spare GW Gor model with an old Marauder cape, as I thought the billowing effect actually looked good here, and it along with the tassel should sell the general speediness of the unit. I quite like how he turned out!

From the front. I like the skull pole.

Cool as he looks, I don't have high hopes for the Chieftain and the Chariot. The Herd's army-wide special rule is Pathfinder, something this hero lacks. When 3rd Edition launched, their Chariots had the Pathfinder-adjacent Strider special rule, but that was unfortunately removed a few years back on both the unit and this hero option. Without Pathfinder or Strider rule, the Chieftain here doesn't have a lot of synergy with the rest of the roster, and I don't think even adding J-Boots would cut it.

All that said, the games in the area have tended to be a little shy on terrain. Pathfinder really needs a good table setup to be worthwhile, so I am thinking that maybe there could be a lane for him, at least locally, played as a "normal" unit. I have some ideas on how I want to run him, and at the very least, how he performs should help help inform me of what my non-druidic inspiring sources need to be doing, and what kinds of things I might want to run in the future.

Much, much more to come from the Herd very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment