Friday, December 1, 2023

Hobby Update: More Undead Revenant Cavalry

I recently added a new unit to my Undead collection in the form of a horde's worth of spooky Revenant Cavalry. They were finished only recently, but it was mid October when I started hobbying, and since the weather was holding strong at the time, I decided to prime some other things and keep chipping away at my pile of shame. And up now is another regiment's worth of Revenant Cavalry!

The finished unit.

The main minis here are from Fireforge's Teutonic Knights kit. Fireforge kits tend to borrow heavily from one another, so while the horses were new here, the vast majority of rest of the kit was the same as the Mounted Sergeants that I had just been refreshing. The kitbashing for the previous units Revenant Cavalry wasn't really planned, so again I decided to use those and keep on going since the weather was still on my side.

The view from the flank.

I picked up a box of the Teutonic Knights long ago, because what hobbiest doesn't like crusading knights, and about a year or so ago I picked up a second box just to get more long lances, since I used those lance bits for my Roman Pikemen. This unit chips away at the pile, and I for better or for worse I still have enough to make two more regiments. 

The view from a rear corner.

For the painting, I decided to make all the horses a pale-off white and then drowned them in washes again. The black robes persisted, and since I had just been discussing anti-paladins with a buddy, decided to try some freehand and turn this into a fallen group of Hospitaller Knights, using an inverted white cross. 

Another front shot.

All the cloth was black, so I started with a dark grey drybrush and a dark grey cross. The cross then got a grey lines, then off-white and lastly a very thin white line. Some turned out better than others, both on the shields and on the horses. Overall, the freehand proved to be difficult to replicate over and over despite using the same paints and brush, and since I wanted this unit to be more on the fun side of things, I'm calling it all "good enough" for now. With the freehand done, these were based with the old mud effect and new fog effect, and are ready for the table.

Speaking of the table, I seem to be out of practice with my hobby updates as I didn't get into my usual blind pontificating with the last post! 

While I have not run them or encountered them, the Revenant Cavalry seem like great units for the Undead. The army-wide Fearless is a huge benefit as always, and troops of these cavalry with their Defense 5 should be amazing "thick" chaff ideal for pinning an enemy unit into place. They are shambling cavalry, but as cavalry, a little more mobile than your typical Undead unit. Shambling units can still move twice their speed for a charge, letting the typically slower undead project some good threat while still playing very nicely with Surge casters as opportunities present themselves. 

Over the last few years, the Revenant Cavalry seemed like the only skeleton units worth running based on the online chatter, but Clash of Kings 2024 gives Undead ASBs a Wild Charge D3 aura for skeletons only. I do like that, and while I don't know if it will be enough to make any of the normal foot skeletons and revenants worth running, the increased charge range should make the cavalry versions even more desirable to have in the roster nowadays! Three regiments should suffice for now, but we'll see what the future holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment