Friday, April 7, 2023

Hobby Update: Herd Tribal Spearmen

Hobbying on the Herd continues! Now ready for the table are a pair of Tribal Spears Regiments! 

Both units.

Back in October 2022, I picked up a small ebay bundle of old WHFB Ungors, and was able to redo some of my Herd Trappers, and still have a few bodies extra. I promised myself I'd try to play a few games before making any more purchases... but those extra bodies proved dangerous, and later that month I bought a few more tiny ebay bundles or two of mostly spear-toting Ungor.

Being ebay rescues, I didn't have any choice in armaments (while I picked up some Gor and Bestigor in the past, I never bought a box of Ungor, so I couldn't even swap anything new in), so some of the spears are old and bendy, and about half the shields were glued terribly far back along the arm or even upside down! Still, you can't tell unless you look closely, and I think it all worked out ok in the end. The units are presentable, and I can make a few touch-ups on the details once I am back in the  hobbying groove.

Pretty typical basing for the Herd, though I did leave off stumps and tufts for now.

Being from the same line, the minis do go with my other tribal hunters, but were I starting the army from scratch, I would not go with the GW models. RGD Gaming has some Fauns and Centaurs that would make an amazing basis for an army like this, and that is where I'd point new players I think. 

I think they should be good on the table? They have a neat mix of abilities. They have Pathfinder and Thunderous Charge, and with a few extra attacks from their spears, give decent damage output on the charge. On defense, they have Pathfinder to help get into terrain and force hindered charges, and Phalanx when they can't quite make it into the woods. Defense 4 isn't great but also isn't nothing, giving you even chances against non-Piercing damage from things like bow shots and fireballs. I think there is a lot to like about this little unit!

Second unit. Both are a bit light on the painted details (necklace leather, etc), but definitely presentable.

I am excited to have these done, as I think my collection needed a few more cheaper infantry regiments to help balance things out. With these done, I think I'm in a go
od spot to take the army out for a spin and have a fighting chance! We'll see if we can get the Herd  on the table sometime soon to test out that theory. These units wrap up the older stuff I had around, but March saw me make a few new purchases as well, which have gotten a little paint on them already, but aren't quite presentable yet. More to come soon from the growing Herd!

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoy your blue Herd, these mobs look great. Shout-out to your Druids in the last post too, more unexpectedly-but-pleasantly blue models.

    As for Tribal Spears in game, they're really superb. If you horde them up and give them sharpness they will do some serious work, however I run them as regiments all the time. Great scenario pieces, tougher than anyone expects, with enough attaks that they might get some lifting done too. Plus don't forget, phalanx removes nimble when you damage! Take that, non-flying nimble square bastards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the encouraging words! It is good to be hobbying again.

      And I am glad to hear the Spears are held in high regard! Hopefully I can use them wisely when they do hit the table. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete