Thursday, April 27, 2023

Hobby Update: 2nd Guardian Brutes

Way back in 2017, I used some Farrow Slaughterhousers as the minis for my Herd's Guardian Brutes (here are the wip & update posts). Sometime since, the box was apparently discontinued! I was not expecting to get another box of these, but I found a hobby website that was redoing their inventory and digital storefront, but showing it as available. After a few days of checking back and trying to refresh their cart I managed to checkout, and I have a second horde ready for the table now!

The finished horde nestled in their tray.

March was bonkers with weather (about once a week we were getting a serious ice or snow or rain storm, followed by enough warm days to melt everything away before more precipitation), but I managed to get these assembled (with their additional horn bits) and primed on a nice March day without issue, and paint thrown on them in April. 

Testing layouts.

The miniatures are metal, though this box went pretty smooth for assembly. Being heavy, metal minis, I didn't want to cut them off of their slots, which do provide a lot of stability when used with the bases they come with. However, I did sand off the lip of each before inserting, so the paste would hopefully be a little less noticeable for the final unit. The bases were pasted and then glued down, and then the unit base itself got a thin layer of paste. I applied this sparingly, wary of the warping I got with the Forest Shamblers recently. Maybe I was smarter here? Maybe the metal minis helped weigh things down? Either way, these ended up much better.

The Guardian Brutes were a very different unit when I first built them up. Previously, they lacked Pathfinder, but were one of the only units in the entire Herd roster to get Defense 5, which is why I built them up originally. With the rest of the collection being speedy glass-cannons, I felt that something probably needed to hold the line and contest open terrain. That could have been a folly; I didn't get to play much of the Herd.

Their stats have changed a bit with the new edition. The game got rebalanced and units across various armies fell more into similar categories (the Brutes here are kind of a large infantry berserker unit type now, like Ogre Berserkers or Salamander Tyrants, with lots of attacks but hitting on 4's). However the Guardian Brutes have been granted the Herd's army-wide Pathfinder special rule now, which is very nice! Pathfinder is a really strong ability, even on a slower unit, so these Brutes should be a much more attractive options nowadays, able to sneak through terrain and connect with Thunderous Charge.

Rear Regiment finished. I still like the mini on the right the best of all the sculpts.
Reminds me of a hockey player or something.

Front Regiment finished.

With so many attacks, any buffs or magic items or hot dice are likely to have a huge impact on their performance. Gaining Pathfinder is again great for the unit, and having a second horde's worth of models will certainly give my growing Herd army some more options in list-building! I think these will do well for the army, and will try to put that hypothesis to the test soon!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I really lucked out finding a second box. Two hordes of Brutes seems like a great starting point for a Herd list these days.

    And I appreciate you sharing your experiences with the recent Herd units! I'm hoping to get the Herd on the table sometime soon to see how things work for myself, but it is very helpful to have a reference point to work off of when jumping into a new army. So, thank you!

    ReplyDelete