Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Hobby Update: Smashy Lower Abyssals

Up next off the hobby perch are some more Lower Abyssal bodies, hobbied up this time as a regiment of Lower Abyssals! As I recall, Lower Abyssal Hordes were common for a while in 2nd Edition, and while I had the models, I just never got around to hobbying any up due to a lack of motivation. This is wrapping up most of those old minis, but I still have a little more than dozen bodies around. We'll see what those end up being down the road. 

So smashy. These are some proper weapons!

In the box, there is one sprue with 5 minis. This sprue repeated over and over to get to the box total for the minis included. This is a bit of a bummer, since you end up with tons and tons of drums and banners, but only one of each weapon option, so you really need multiples of the kit to make a good looking unit. For anyone starting the army, the boney scythe looks like it would do ok for another big weapon, and there is a longer trident thing with similar potential, and the silly looking banner can probably be chopped off and repurposed to make your kits go even further. But since I had the bits after building up so many Flamebearers, I decided to make the unit uniform in its armaments, as I like that look better overall for most of my units.

I think the smashy version here will do ok on the table as a regiment. All in all, they seem like good generalists for melee combat. Having Regeneration, they should endure chip damage a bit better than other similar units in other armies, and should be able to take a decent hit, hold objectives, and hit back ok in a fight. They won't be stellar, but they should be a reliable source of a few damage. I wouldn't recommend spamming them as regiments, as we've been over that math before, but at 115 points, and with decent enough stats, they should be cheap enough to play around with as a one-off for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment