Sunday, April 14, 2024

Hobby Update: Herd Tribal Spears

Wisconsin has been "Wisconsining" pretty hard lately with regards to the weather, peaking around 70F three weeks ago, then swerving hard to nearly a foot of snow as we entered into April, then a bit of a happy medium, and now we hit 80F over the weekend here. The see-sawing of the last few weeks had been accompanied by a lot of precipitation, and not great for priming just yet.

Fortunately, I had scored a bundle of broken but mostly painted GW Ungors from ebay back in February, and I was able to hobby them up last week, no priming required! Matching up broken spear points (or getting close enough for a match) took quite some time, but I now have a second horde of Tribal Spears ready to aid the Herd on the battlefield!

The new horde! With some vibrant spears!

For hobbying, as-mentioned, the minis are GW Ungors. A few were from the newer kit, but most were from an older box back from the days of slotted bases. That kit had ludicrously long spears, and most of those were broken, but fixable. I haven't used it much in my hobbying, but I tried some plastic cement here, to fuse the broken bits back together. That seemed to set nicely and quick, and any persisting weak joins got a little super glue and/or white PVA glue as needed to help reinforce. The spears are still thin and long and bendy, but are mostly at the same heights and are as sturdy as I can get them right now, so we're calling them done and calling this a win.

A regiment.

Everything had received a quick rinse as I unpacked it back in February. There were a lot of mold lines though, and I tried to clean them up as I saw them. Ideally, one would prime over everything at this point, to cover up any naked plastic, but due to weather and laziness, I did not. They just got the usual paint scheme. The previous owner had painted all the wood bright red though, which I thought was interesting while prepping, so I decided to go with it, as this should help differentiate them on the battlefield and in reports.

And the other regiment.

This is my second spear horde for the Herd. I tend to hobby up more units than would be recommended for a usual list, but I also happen to be bullish on them for the army! I am in need of a real a front line unit, and these look like they should do nicely! They have middling stats, but with Phalanx being discounted recently, don't look bad at all on the defensive, and while they lost Thunderous Charge, they are able to purchase it back. This gives them a nice offensive facet not usually found among this kind of infantry unit, and while useless in a grinding combat, can help them pressure things alongside your speedier units. I'll hopefully get both on the table sometime soon and see how things go!

No comments:

Post a Comment