Monday, February 12, 2024

Kings of War 3rd Edition: #049 Kingdoms of Men vs Undead [Modified Plunder]


Intro and Lists

I had the pleasure of throwing down with William, a survivor of some older editions of Warhammer Fantasy, and newcomer to Kings of War. Still hobbying up his own Abyssal Dwarfs, he borrowed some Undead from Brian (SquirminVermin on the forum, and publisher of the Nerd's Tale, which was been recommended previously). You might recognize William's name from the Nerd's Tale, and as the previous owner of some of the Undead hitting the field today, so this was a bit of a return to form for him! He borrowed the following:


It's a little heavy with big, expensive characters, but as I understand it, models were a bit of a limiting factor in building the list. but being quite new to the Undead myself, I was just excited to see how things would work on the table! Hopefully I can pick up some tips and ideas for my own future lists!


I wasn't planning on running them again so soon, but being against a newer player, I took the Kingdoms of Men, running the list above. The humans are easier to for a newer player to grok, letting them focus on their own list and learning the rules, but I know the army well enough that I can hopefully still put up a good game no matter what I am up against. I wanted to dial things back a bit while still exploring Lifeleech ASBs and hordes, since I am still getting used to those larger unit footprints. Up to test are:

  • Pole-Arms Block. I couldn’t remember the last time I ran these, so they were drafted for this game. They should be worse than the Fanatics (no Fearless, fewer attacks and worse Melee value), but are 65 points cheaper. We’ll see how they do compared to the crazies.
  • Foot Guard. They have done ok before, but got one-shot last game from a massive quintuple-charge. We’ll see if they can recover some honor this game, as they allegedly some of the best infantry units this army can field.
  • Bowmen. The bow hordes have impressed me. With just 5+ on the Ranged attacks, you don’t expect too much, so anything they do is a big plus! They struggle against high defense units, but hopefully the undead will have some zombies or something for them to shoot at. The Fire-Oil seems like a cheap way to make them relevant in some match-ups, so we’re taking it again here.
  • Knight Regiments with items. The Horde had done well previously, but that was not something I wanted to subject a newcomer to again. I wanted to play a little more reservedly with the regiments this time, and see if I could actually do some multi-charges with the infantry hordes this game, so we’ll see how I do.
  • ASB’s with items. The Undead get Lifeleech innately across the army. Hopefully that will help me remember to trigger mine! The Lute for Bane Chant is a staple for me, and should pair well with my melee hordes. The Wand for Hex didn’t get a good shake last time due to my poor deployment, so we are trying that out again. Hopefully the Undead will have a few more casters to target. 
  • Wizard with Inspiring and Windblast. Zephyr Crown, the Windblast item, was suggested on the forum as another possible ASB item. I hadn’t really considered the item before, in any context, so I figured I’d try it out. Ideally, he deploys with the Bowmen and Ballistae and helps delay, but Windblast can also be very powerful messing with charge ranges as well, or pushing things away from scoring zones or objectives. We’ll see if I trip myself or my opponent up more!

Table and Terrain

Most of the nascent group is in the Milwaukee area, meaning I had to travel. We met up at a newer and charming little game shop called Oddwillows. Being a very new shop, they are still building up their own terrain selection, and adjusting some of their table setups, so we made do, borrowing some terrain from SquirminVermin and a building from the shop. 

We used the typical terrain rules, with the buildings as Height 9 blocking terrain, the forests as Height 6 Difficult Terrain, stone fences as Height 2 Obstacles, and Hills as Height 3. The table was only 40 inches deep, so we shrunk the deployment zones, which was a bit of a bummer since I wanted to deploy back pretty far and make use of my ranged units. Being new, the shop didn't have any battle mats, and I didn't bring any, but that worked out ok with the slimmer battlefield. My opponent won the roll off, going with the lazy gamer side, and dropping a horde of Skeleton Warriors to kick things off. 

The bulk of the Undead opposing the Regnum.

At the end of it deployment, we had, from right-to-left, the Undead Dragon, Werewolves, and Wights making for a scary and quick right flank. The horde of Skeleton Warriors sat near the middle with Mhorgoth behind. Nearby was a regiment of Zombies, a regiment of Skeleton Warriors screening a mounted ASB, and then the horde of Skeleton Spearmen. Over on the left, there was a regiment of Revenant Cavalry behind the forest, an uninspiring Necromancer, and a troop of Soul Reaver Cavalry screened by a troop of Revenant Cavalry.

The view from the left.

I was mostly pleased with my deployment. Starting on the left, I had a Giant, General, Militia, and Giant. Opposing the enemy spearmen horde was my Pole-Arms horde, another group of Militia, and my Hex ASB. My Ballistae had set up in the middle of the field, and should have some great shots into the enemy infantry. Opposing the horde of Skeleton Warriors were my Foot Guard and BC ASB. Both knightly regiments, the second flying General waited patiently, and my Bowmen and Wind Blast Wizard secured my far right.

Against cavalry troops, I felt really confident on my left, and deployed up, looking for some quick and decisive combats with my rampaging Giants. My right would need to delay, but depending on how aggressive my opponent was, I figured they would be able to do so, since the Knights and my own General should be able to complicate charge distances. 

We had rolled up Plunder, and had Loot tokens spread down the center of the board. The 2-Pointers ended up between the Skeleton Spearmen / Pole-Arms hordes, and between the Skeleton Warrior / Foot Guard hordes. The center would likely be a bloody slugfest, but my Ballistae should be able to soften things up, and such a grind should hopefully let me test out the Lifeleech ASBs more!

My opponent won the roll off for first turn decision, and prudently decided to kick things off for us instead of eating a volley of ballista bolts to start the game.

Top of Round 1: Undead

Over on the right, the Werewolves took the forest, with the Undead Dragon inching forward as well, and I believe both should have a charge into the Bowmen, if they wish it. The Wights spin. They are flying, but a bit slower, and my opponent seems to want them as a second line here.

The speediest Undead prepare to strike.

The rest of the Undead line shambled up. My opponent declined to surge anything up, and to keep things tidy, but did attempt an early Mind Fog from Mhorgath on the Bowmen, who shook off the magic. 

The Undead advance, slow and steady.

Over on the right, the cavalry reined it in, not wanting to get anything into charge range of the Giants. 

Bottom of Round 1: Kingdoms of Men

Over on the left, the Giants move up a few inches. The troop of Revenant Cavalry should have a charge into either Giant, but the rest of the undead cavalry are left out of the fun, unless some very long Surges happen. The General moves up to pounce if anything opens up, but he himself is safe from charges, and the Militia advance ever so slightly, eyeing the loot token. I probably could have been more aggressive with them here in retrospect. Nothing can reach them, so they might as well move up.

The Giants move up to bait some charges.

The center of my line holds still. The ballistae loose, and score a combined 5 damage into the Skeleton Warrior regiment! And we are off to a good start with shooting!

It's a very scary flank! The KoM does what it can.

Out on the right, I think any of these units can endure a frontal charge from the Undead Dragon, so the Knights pivot slightly to prepare a trap. The General flies up to the building, using it for cover. Nothing can reach him next turn, and he should be able to flank anything that moves up.

The Bowmen loose, and I am reminded that the Werewolves are not normal Lycans, and do not have regeneration, and they score just 1 damage shooting into cover. The Undead Dragon has Lifeleech 2, but probably would have been a better target.

Top of Round 2: Undead

The lighting was a little harsh and my pictures turned out way too blurry. On the right, the Undead Dragon wise refuses to charge in alone, and instead, copies my General, pulling up along another edge of the building, and getting out of my General's line of sight. The Werewolves adjust slightly to make sure they will have charges next turn.

The center continues to shamble up. Mind Fog is attempted on a Ballista, but fizzles.

The undead cavalry all mill about, with the two troops move up further, and the Revenant Troop positioning at an odd angle.

Bottom of Round 2: Kingdoms of Men

Charge ranges being what they are on the left, the angle actually helps me. The Giant is on the far flank, but is able to pivot on the charge and connect with the Soul Reaver troop, while the General makes a sporting charge into the Revenant Cavalry troop. A multi-charge into the vampires would have been better, but would have put the Giant in at their corner. The mounted Necromancer here isn't Inspiring. So, with Rampage, I figured I had decent chances to take the vampires off with just the giant, and I should be able to endure reprisals from the Revenant Cav regiment, since they'd be hindered, which in turn should let my other Giant come to the rescue.

Unfortunately for me, the first rampaging Giant trips or something, rolls pitifully for the extra attacks, and deals only 6 damage. The Nerve check is insultingly low, and and vampires are completely unfazed and unimpressed with the towering titan before them. Adding to my despair, the General whiffs his attacks as well, dealing only 2 to the Revenant Cavalry,. I wasn't expecting to break them, but I was hoping to start the grind a little stronger. Unsurprisingly I don't get the boxcars I needed for the rout against the Revenants.

The initial charges stall out.

The Ballistae shoot into the Skeleton Warrior regiment again, land some damage, and shoot off the regiment. 

The Bowmen elect to hold. As I recall, things are close enough that I can't really escape the quick Undead by backpedaling. Windblast misses against the Undead Dragon, and the Bowmen miss all their shots too. However, I see a line out to Mhorgath, and I am able to Hex the legendary spellcaster.

Top of Round 3: Undead

The Undead Dragon and Werewolves charge the puny Bowmen, with the later using the Boots to prevent a hindered charge coming out of the woods. The Werewolves do the expected 10 damage, though the Undead Dragon falters, only landing 4 himself. Still, the Nerve check is piping hot at 10+ twice, and the Bowmen are run over, and as if things weren't going bad enough, both Undead units will overrun 4 inches, getting well and clear of my Knights. 

More setbacks for the Kingdoms of Men!

Mhorgath takes 6 damage for a very successful Bane Chant to the Werewolves (which wasn't needed, since they already have CS1, the Bowmen were Defense 3), and another 6 for a short Surge to the Wights in a failed attempt to clip the General and fight him. Mhorgoth ends the turn at 12 damage.

The Undead infantry continue to shamble forward.

The trap is sprung!

Over on the left, the unbothered but disordered Revenant Cavalry troop will counter charge the General, slipping 2 damage in and disordering him while Lifeleeching off 1 damage themselves. The boisterous Soul Reavers counter charge the Giant, with the Revenant Cavalry regiment making a hindered charge into the flank of the titan. Through Lifeleech and magical healing, the Revenant Cavalry are healed back to just 1 damage during the turn. Together, the cavalry units will deal 12 to the Giant, and then roll an 8+ twice to rout him as well, and the Kingdoms of Men endure their second significant and unlikely rout this turn!

Bottom of Round 3: Kingdoms of Men

Both the Pole-Arms and Militia are about a half inch out from being able to fight against the enemy cavalry, which is unfortunate. While the Soul Reavers are just on 1 damage now, I don't want them charging things, and I am most likely to break them, so I send in Giant number 2, charging off the hill, though the extra TC won't matter here. I get in better damage, and manage a Waver! Unfortunately, I forget about Brutal, so this should be a rout! A big error, and entirely my bad. With Surge/Shambling in play, I have tripped the trap, on purpose, for a second time...

The second Giant stalls out...

The General struggles against the Revenant Cavalry troop, landing a solid 5 damage and bringing them up to 6 damage, but is still unable to move them. 

The Militia move up at the double, and the Pole-Arms move up a little now as well.

The Ballistae shoot into the Skeleton Spearmen to make use of their piercing bolts, and do land a few damage, continuing the trend of decent output for me this game. The ASB in the center is Hexed, since that is the only caster my ASB can see. The Wind Blast Wizard finally buffets the undead Dragon, pushing him 3" towards my table edge.

How the bottom of Round 3 starts.

Over on the right, things are a mess. With the Undead Dragon and Lycans choosing to overrun, they are not threatening anything next turn, so I feel like now is the time to move. With the Wights low surge last turn, they are pushed on top of the obstacle, but their front face is past it. 

The knights make their charges.

I would like to send the General against the very wounded Mhorgoth, and both knights into the Wights. However, with the nearby building, the frontage on the Wights precludes that multi-charge. The pathfinding knights can only reach the Wights, limiting my options.

I decide that removing the Wights is most important, and need to happen now, so I send in the General and the Knights with Boots, though the item remains unused. Fortunately, they are able to trounce the Wights, with the General then spinning 90 degrees to face the corner, and the knights wheeling about completely to hopefully head off the Undead should they try to run.

All this means that my super-Thunderous Knights are a bit neglected. They are my last unit to move, and I eventually decide to send them in on a hindered charge against the Skeleton Warriors. With just Speed 5, the BC ASB couldn't reach with his spell to help in the Wight fight, so he casts BC on the thundering Knights, though that cast is unnecessary in hindsight, since they will already be wounding on 2's. They do about as expected, landing 6 damage, and starting a grinding fight. This feels bad for the knights, but with the Dragon, so close, it is actually harder to pin down. If either knight unit pivots to face, my charge arcs are limited by being so close, and he just flies away. So I felt like fighting stuff was my best option for both units.

Top of Round 4: Undead

The hexed ASB takes some damage to Surge the Zombies into the flank of the knights, while the Warriors counter-charge. The Knights take only 4 damage, and I count myself lucky!

The knights hold against the undead infantry.

The Werewolves and Undead Dragon turn, and try to flee from the corner. Celestial Restoration and Heals are handed out, with most of that magic focused on the Skeleton Warrior Horde.

The second Giant holds this time, but barely. My opponent had a lot of hot Nerve checks this game.

Over on the left, the Soul Reaver Cavalry are wavered, so opt to do nothing, but the Undead spring the same trap as before for my Giant. This time though, the Revenant Cavalry Regiment leaves the woods and is then Surged into the flank, dealing 12 damage themselves, and securing a Waver against the Giant. The Revenant troop lands 1 damage on the General, grounding and disordering him.

Bottom of Round 4: Kingdoms of Men

Fortunately, I had glanced at my list recently, and while I was bummed to be reminded of Brutal, I also saw that the Giant had Fury, letting the Giant counter-charge the Revenant Cavalry Regiment, with the Militia eagerly hitting the skeletons in the flank. The rampage rolls are finally good, and a super-solid 15 damage is done, and I finally manage to rout an Undead cavalry unit! I goof the rules for Loot tokens, thinking I can claim things within 3" for some reason. So, despite not touching it, the Militia will pick up the nearby token, since the rest of the Undead units are more than 3" away.

I finally start to make headway against the cavalry.

The General still struggles against the Revenant troop, who had been Lifeleeching and getting some occasional heals from the mounted Necromancer. 

The Ballistae both miss, and I can't think of a way the Wind Blasting Wizard can contribute, so he'll be sitting out the rest of the game. Hex lands on the mounted ASB, and BC lands on the Knights fighting the Skeleton Warriors, allowing them to bring them up to 8 damage, per the pic. They must have gotten some serious heals last round!

In the center, the Pole-Arms can't get away from the Dragon's charge range, and I just don't know what to really do with them. They hop over the Militia, looking to get into a fight with the Spearmen, and will secure the 2-point token near them to entice the Undead. 

Battles in the center of the board.

The Foot Guard hit the flank of the Zombies, and devastate them with their first round of attacks, so we speed things up, check their Nerve now, and they are routed. The Foot Guard will change facing, landing on the token, picking it up, and will try to zone out the Undead Dragon.

The Undead Dragon traveled just a bit too far for me. Actually, I think my Wind Blast would be what put them out of reach. My Knights are an inch or so out of charge range against what would have been a rear charge against the Dragon. Instead they make a clean charge into the flank of the Werewolves, land only 11 damage, and get a Waver. Unable to pin down the Undead Dragon this turn, and unable to charge the Werewolves, the General flaps up, pursuing the Undead Dragon, and ready to give chase where ever it goes.

Top of Round 5: Undead

The Undead Dragon decides to take a rear-charge into the Pole-Arms, with the Skeleton Spearmen poking them in the front. I believe 19 damage lands, and the humans do not stick around. The Skeleton Spearmen claim the token and back up,  and Undead Dragon tries to overrun, but the latter rolls low and ends the round a bit exposed...

The Pole-Arms are munched.

I believe Mhorgath Bane Chants the Skeleton Warriors, letting them slip 3 damage in against the Knights, and then uses Drain Life against the Knights as well, landing 4 damage himself and bringing them up to 11 damage total, in an impressive showing of what a legendary spellcaster can do with some double casts!

The Giant falls to the Soul Reavers.

On the right, the Soul Reavers hit the Giant, and with a clean charge, is able to rout him. The Revenant Cavalry troops smacks the General for a few damage, and gets a lucky Waver.

As the game started, I was really confident about my left. Two rampaging Giants and a flying General against some cavalry troops? I thought this flank would be easier to win, but I have been on the losing side of the fights here all game.

Bottom of Round 5: Kingdoms of Men

The Militia rush to the aid of the General, rolling well, landing 3 damage, and shooing the skeletons away. Holding a 1 Point token still, they will reform to take a charge from the Soul Reavers next turn.

The Undead Dragon takes a hit.

With the Undead Dragon's low overrun, he was unable to get out of the arc of the Foot Guard. They and the General will hit the tian in the flank, and bring him down. The Foot Guard hold a token, and will change facing to see the Skeleton Spearmen. The Militia near them are just shy of being able to make a charge into the Spearmen, so they hang back. 

The humans start to make some progress.

With Mhorgoth around, that grind has not gone as intended. The Knights have been sitting on a 2-Point token, which they had not picked up, since I thought the US was tied here. The Knights now withdraw, backing up, and daring the Skeletons to try and finish the fight with the hindered charge over the obstacle.

The pathfinding Knights charge back into the Werewolves, devastating them with the first grouping of attacks, and we again speed things up, and they do not find the Insane Courage they needed. They will victoriously reform to face the 1 Point token on the far right.

Top of Round 6: Undead

Both Skeleton hordes decide to sandwich the Foot Guard in the pond, making hindered charges. I honestly forgot that the Warriors could move and then be Surged, so this catches me off-guard. Hitting on 6's, they both roll really well, landing 10 damage, though thankfully, the Foot Guard holds, meaning the rear of the Skeleton Warriors is now wide open to the extra-thunderous Knights on my turn.

The Foot Guard hold.

The ASB facilitated the Surge, with Mhorgoth attempting (and failing) to Bane Chant the flanking warriors. Mhorgoth then Mind Fogs the thunderous Knights, securing the Waver and protecting the Skeleton Warriors. In hindsight, Drain Life may have been a better call, but neither of us caught this.

The Militia hold too!

The Soul Reavers feast on the Militia, dealing 6, but failing to secure the rout with the reroll forced by them being Inspired, leaving a window open for the Kingdoms of Men.

Bottom of Round 6: Kingdoms of Men

The General will return the favor to the Militia, hitting the Soul Reavers in the flank while they attack from the front, and this will be enough to finally see the Reavers off the battlefield.

The Reavers will fall.

I believe the Ballistae will shoot with penalty into the mounted Necromancer, and manage to get 3 damage on him, for what it's worth. 

The Foot Guard will countercharge the Skeleton Warriors, popping away from the Skeleton Spearmen and disengaging as part of the charge. The Militia will then charge the Spearmen. Somewhere along the line, we lost the damage die for the Warriors, and I unfortunately had not been taking good notes on the spells. We guestimate they had 5 damage, since that is the nearest die to them. The Foot Guard get buffed by a Bane Chant, and will trounce the Warriors, and will Lifeleech back 1 damage while doing so. And I should note that this is the first Lifeleech trigger for the Kingdoms of Men this game.

The Foot Guard are victorious.

With the Militia protecting the Foot Guard from the Spearmen, the Foot Guard will victoriously turn to face the last horde of the Undead. With multi-charges, I should still be able to get in, albeit hindered, should there be a Round 7.

Wavered, we look to see if the Knights could still claim a token. In doing so, I realize my rules-goof now, and that units need to be touching tokens to claim them. The knights definitely can't do it, and I completely forget to check for Headstrong, so they just turn to face the combats. Instead, a General will fly over to claim that 2-Point token.

In the possibly most anti-climactic use of Sir Jesse's Boots of Striding ever, the Knights will pop them, to move their max to end their turn atop the obstacles and a One-Point token to claim it. ...which as I am writing the report, is not a legal move! Even with Strider and Pathfinder, I cannot move At the Double over an Obstacle. 

Illegal! Super-sorry.

With Round 6 Concluding, left-to-right the Militia hold a 1-Pointer; the Skelton Spearmen hold a 2-Pointer for my opponent, the Foot Guard hold a 1 Pointer, and the General holds a 2-Pointer. We'll ignore the pathfinding Knights, making this 4-2 for the Kingdoms of Men.

My opponent doesn't want to call it yet though, and his resolve manifests with a Round 7!

Top of Round 7: Undead

Mhorgoth has the potential for a double kill here, and lands a Drain Life on the Foot Guard, dealing 4 damage to them, but they miraculously hold. The legendary caster then casts Mind Fog on the maimed extra-thundery Knights, and will get that rout this time.

Mhorgoth is scary!

Heals are tossed out to aid the Skeleton Spearmen, who will deal 6 damage to the Militia, and Waver them!

Bottom of Round 7: Kingdoms of Men

The Wavering Militia blocks my Foot Guard out the final fight, unfortunately.  I am too close to get around them. The other Militia are an inch too far away to flank the Spearmen, so it's up to my General, who has not had the best of games so far.

A final charge for the Kingdoms of Men.

The General gets a clean flank charge into the Skeleton Spearmen, lands some decent damage, but is  ultimately unable to move them. 

Since we got a Round 7, the Pathfinding Knights can now legally finish their move onto the obstacle, and claim the token. Sheesh, they didn't even need the boots. Nothing else happens to the other tokens in the bonus round, so we are left with a 5-2 victory for the Kingdoms of Men!

Game Conclusions

Firstly, it was a blast meeting some new people, playing against someone new to me, and seeing the Milwaukee scene really start to grow. Despite being a bit of an ad hoc meetup, we had two proper games going, a fifth player stop by for a bit, and few family members hanging around hobbying and cheering for folks as the afternoon meandered along. It was a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. My opponent played a solid game with the list he was given, and I can't wait to see his own army hit the table sometime. He's playing Abyssal Dwarfs, which should be very scary!

Secondly, that game did not unfold at all like I thought it would! Charging the second Giant into the same trap seems dumb, but I felt like I had good chances to beat the vamps both times, and would have done it the second time had I remembered Brutal. Against uninspired cavalry troops, I really thought I could win my left flank quickly with my Giants, but my dice were so cold and I just couldn't budge anything there until quite late in the game.

Fortunately, despite forgetting a few beneficial rules in my list, things generally went ok for me elsewhere. Round 3 had some tough losses, but overall I was able to keep enough units alive into the late game to somehow come away with the win. 

Testing Conclusions

  • Pole-Arms Block. I was stoked to see how these would do in combat against some skeletons, but they did not get their prolonged combat. Heck, they didn't even get to strike back! A cheap horde with CS is intriguing though, so I think I'll need to try them again sometime.
  • Foot Guard. They stuck it out for the win, and I can't complain.
  • Bowmen. I had hoped to pair them with the Ballistae and Wizard, but I needed them off on the side to delay, and they did ok there as a roadblock. Their rout there was unlikely and unfortunate, but that's how the dice bounced this time. Overall, I think they are still a pretty nice unit just to have around? With the Crossbows and Rifles losing Pot Shot recently, I'm interested to see if those units get more popular, but nice and cheap is not bad.
  • Knights with Pathfinder. The item is a staple for most lists, but I managed to use it incorrectly here. My bad. Still, even without the item, this unit did ok, and Knights have been a solid choice for the Kingdoms of Men.
  • Knights with Helm. I was hoping to get these into a few combats to make use of the Helm, but unfortunately I needed them to delay. Forgetting Headstrong was a bummer, but they probably should have been hit with Drain Life and gone anyways. They still did a good job.
  • ASB with Hex. He actually did things this game! Mhorgath was quite the target, but I passed on my one chance to fight him. A few other things got hexed as well, but my opponent just took it and I was never able to really capitalize on any of the Hex damage, unfortunately. Now that I have actually used it, it is a neat item, but you need a follow up in order to hunt down the caster.
  • ASBs and Lifeleech. I need to try some defensive units with the ASBs still, but Lifeleech is never going to heal through the damage you are taking, and this is only going to be impactful in an infinitesimally small amount of situations where the damage and Nerve check and such all just happen to line up. Again, it's a buff, but I particularly don't care for it, and wish we had gotten something else. I still like my ASB with Lute though, and could still see myself running 2 if I can find another fun item to run.
  • Wizard with Windblast. Writing the report, I think the push in Round 3 was what got the Dragon out of my charge range, meaning I tripped myself up more than my opponent, which is a bummer, as that's the only time the spell connected, per my notes. I have liked Enthrall / Windblast on speedier casters, like flying Seductresses, where you can mess with the angles to really push things around. In a straight-up fight, just pushing things back to delay them isn't a great trick though. I didn't use him well, but the infantry version was disappointing.
  • Undead Dragon. I am often critical of heavy fliers, but my opponent got some great use out of his! Though we should note that had a lot break his way to survive so long. It was fun to see such a powerful unit makes its way around the battlefield.
  • Revenant Cavalry. Easily the MVPs for my opponent! I wasn't expecting to one-shot the troop with the General, but getting the initial charge and having CS and such... I was astounded that they nearly bested me. Dice were definitely not on my side over on that flank, but I also just did not respect them enough. The troops are sturdy! The Regiment was also used beautifully, being instrumental is taking down the two Giants with good positioning when I was overconfident.  All-in-all, by opponent used these exceptionally well, and good play is always worth pointing out.
  • Mhorgoth. My opponent called him Mhorgoth the Must Have. In his case, I would agree, since the mini is a unique sculpt from a talented local artist! I have not run him yet myself, and I think you can get by without him, but he was a very potent support caster, and could definitely be a lot of fun to play around with as I explore my own Undead collection!  
  • Lich with Celestial Restoration. One of my blind spots in the game these days is spellcasting, as I'd rather learn new units than spells. Reading through the list after the game though, I don't think the Liche actually needs Knowledgeable, since he is already a Level 3 caster. Still, Celestial Restoration was a very interesting spell! The "blast" healing was neat, and it healed a fair amount, however I don't think it paired very well with the Liche, since he's a source of Inspiring and you want him close. Overall, not they way I want to run my Liche, but still neat to see in action!
A big thank you to William for being willing to borrow a list to thrown down against a stranger for the afternoon. I am looking forward to seeing him across the table again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment