Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Hobby Update: Abyssal Warlocks

I let myself make a few purchases in early May. Unfortunately, the majority of them did not pan out as well as I was hoping, and are back in the storage bins for now. These ended up being a bright spot though: two "counts-as" Abyssal Warlocks.

The faces... could honestly use some work. But these are still good enough for the table.

Last I had checked, the Warlock was only sold as part of a Abyssal Warband Booster, so I had been watching for alternative models that could fill out that 40mm base ok. I look to have missed the timing, and Mantic's model appears to now be sold individually. Still, I got both of these for less than one of their models, and I can't be upset with some frugal hobbying. These will work just fine.

The model is from Reaper, which continues to be a good source of monsters and characters. This model has a weird, long, oval stand about equal to the robe's edge, and with the thickness of a normal Mantic infantry base! The stand is too thick and integral to easily cut away, but the odd shape fills the larger base well, and some crumbled cork board disguises it to my satisfaction. The paintjob is honestly below average for me, but is acceptable for now. 

The Warlocks seem like wonderful caster units for the Abyssals, providing a handful of 18" Firebolt attacks and a source of Inspiring base, plus access to a number of useful spells if you wish to spend the points. Their larger base gives them a unit strength to score for scenarios, which can be a big plus as well! The Warlock has been suggested to me a few times now, and I have really liked the legendary version of the unit in Zaz the Betrayer. I think the base warlocks could go well with some of the MSU things I still want to try with the Abyssals, so it's nice to have some available now.

While putting some of the dud purchases away, I found the second bard mini from the two-pack I bought to do up my Varangur Skald. I don't really like that particular mini, but wanted something else to work on. I added some green-stuff fur and replaced the head with a spare from the kit I made my Oathbreakers from, turning it into an Abyssal Harbinger with a Lute of Darkness. 

"Anyways, here's Wonderwall."

I like aiming for wysiwyg, models, but I try to draw the line at magic items. The various Lute-toting miniatures (this, but also previously my KoM ASB, and the aforementioned Skald) have been been exceptions to the rule since they have all been done for cheap. 

The Harbinger is a fancier Flamebearer. It has Inspiring, and two 18" Firebolt attacks to offer up, plus the option to mount-up. It's not a terrible hero, but it doesn't have great chances to damage anything, so seems mostly to be picked for just a cheap source of Inspiring. The Abyssals have no shortage of character options these days! With such stiff competition in the hero slot, I think Ambush might be the most likely place we'll see him? This year has been crazy though, so we'll have to wait and see what develops and see when this guy may actually hit the table with my schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment