Monday, November 12, 2018

Hobby Update: Spooky Terrain

The new apartment is more spacious that my previous place, and I want to utilize that space and host some nerdy activities: MTG nights, D&D sessions… and hopefully even some wargaming! I’m hoping that having a table around and being able to play whenever will let me actually get some games in. I haven’t bought legit tables, or settled on how to do the board up yet, but I have hobbied up some terrain...

Trees! Skeleton for scale.
First up are some trees. Gotta have trees on a fantasy gaming table! I found some trees for train hobbying for cheap online (~$10) and placed an order. The scale ended up being a bit off, but it came with enough big pieces to be still worthwhile. These are the bigger ones... Attaching them to bases is proving a bit difficult. I'm also considering buying some metal washers to help weigh them down. And maybe some kind of thin adhesive spray to keep the foliage on better... Alright, so these aren't done. It's a start though.

For the remaining saplings, I’m thinking of essentially “unit filler” for forests: multibasing the smaller trees to "fill out" the forests without being too unwieldy on the table or truly obscuring line of sight for gamers. More to come on the trees…


I also wanted some buildings. The Garden of Morr always looked pretty neat to me, and I was fortunate enough to see the buildings on a bits site for a few bucks each, and picked them up. I also found this neat 3D printed graveyard scene and decided to bite there too. So far, I have two of four possible buildings/tombs painted up. More to come here too, but this will work for a smaller table.

Graveyards, for difficult terrain.
Lastly, I figured some “difficult” terrain would be easy enough to build, by utilizing all the gravestones. I bought a bunch of the GW tray making kits back in the day, and cut into started cannibalizing them to serve as bases for the terrain. I added some milliput to give a more rolling terrain appearance; added the gravestones; then Vallejo Paste. I painted it all up, and then added some of the Army painter ballast (to give a “fresh grave” look in a few spots. The final touch was some yellow foliage scraps to be either some kind of lichen or maybe nice fall leaves? Works well enough.

For terrain staples, I'm still lacking hills and fences, but there are a lot of diy guides out there for both. Will get to those eventually. It's not a bad start to a gaming table!

No comments:

Post a Comment