Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Battle: Invasion!

While breaking in new recruits patrolling the porous border with their dainty elven neighbors, the soldiers of the Regnum Aeternum discover a host of dainty elves stands between them and home. With both sides eager to test their mettle, the parley broke down, and armor was donned in preparation for the coming battle.

As mentioned previously, I had some Mounted Sergeants to test, but aside from them, the bulk of my forces should look pretty familiar: defensive infantry regiments and some support units, though this time most of the Pole-Arm Troops were replaced by Crossbowmen. The plan was to deploy conservatively in a layered defense, and drop most of the cavalry on a flank at the end of my deployment, in an attempt to roll a flank. Classic!

Our battlefield, as viewed from the right-corner of my deployment zone. A quaint little hamlet with some buildings, forests and hills. We decided to treat the weird stone wall as a fence for the short part and a blocking building for the tall part. So.... lots of blocking terrain on this here battlefield.
I won the roll off for deployment, and my conservative battle plan went right out the window. Since we rolled up the Invasion scenario, I figured I needed to be more aggressive. I also figured I’d bump into his army on my way to his side of the field… so I attempted to be sneaky, and try to goad him into committing to that hill in his deployment zone, or to at least spread him out. If he did either I felt I could more easily isolate and overwhelm his units.

Unfortunately, he ignored my deployments entirely, and deployed smartly and compactly.His list was much the same as it has been previously: A Regiment of Archers, two Troops of Stormwind Cavalry, a Troop and a Regiment of Palace Guard, a Dragon Breath (masquerading as a Bolt Thrower), a troop of Hunters of the Wild, and his trusty Wizard with Bane-Chant and Heal (maybe more? I don’t know what the hero comes with; that’s all he cast during the game). Jumping from 1000 to 1500, he only added two units: some Kroxigors (Proxigors! They were standing in for Drakon Riders) and some kind of lordly dragon-riding meanie (Dragon Kindred Lord). Those fliers were going to be hard to deal with… and this was my first foray against any flying baddies.

Deployment! I broke the flag on my usual ASB, and have yet to fix him, so I've been subbing in spare banner men from other regiments for my recent games. I chose poorly this time around. He struggled against gravity all game.
I think my opponent deployed well. Elves are speedy, so he could probably get most of his guys in between the buildings (to anchor his lines, protect his flanks and minimize my combo-charge potential) should he get first turn. It was a pretty compact deployment so things can support one another, and his Archers and fliers are protected and in a good position to support anything.

My deployment, on the other hand, suffered a bit from trying to be tricky and failing. After 4 deployments, I was pretty sure he was marching to the beat of a different drum rather than reacting to any of my drops, so I abandoned my sneaky plans. Fortunately, I still had a lot of drops! I’m pretty spread out, though with the sheer number of units I had, things can still generally support one another.

A lot of my stuff ended up at angles, and that was actually on purpose! After I realized he wasn't reacting to me, I slipped back into a more conservative mindset. I measured it out, and those units were meant to do some "At the Double" movements, to get into more threatening positions and let me fix my lines a little (I was expecting to go second, and be trying to react to speedy elves). Fortunately for me, I won the roll off for first turn, so instead of reacting, I could be the aggressor, and try to box him in and overwhelm him a little. 

Turn 1 (KoM)

On my right, two Troops of Mounted Sergeants and a Regiment of Shield Wall start their march, hoping to flank the elves in the coming turns. Using the center building to protect my units, I set up a kill zone for the Elves, and on my left, the last Troop of Mounted Sergeants and their buddy Knight Troop advance to try and swing around the building on the far left. 

His Hunters of the Wild have Vanguard, and decided to move up into harm's way.
My Crossbowmen Troops unload against the Hunters of the Wild, and the Ballista in the center hits the Archer Regiment, and while a surprising amount of damage is done to both units, they hold. My last Ballista tried to get in on the action, but missed it’s shot against the enemy Dragon Breath machine.

Turn 2 (Elves)

My opponent again proves his cleverness, and sees through my obvious traps, and replies in kind. The Dragon Kindred Lord and the Regiment of Palace Guard swing over to intercept my right flank, and his right flank sets up a kill zone for my ambitious cavalry. His Bane-Chanted Archers roll poorly, and deal a single wound to my Regiment of Foot Guard.

Every report needs at least one blurry shot. Right? ...right?
Turn 3 (KoM)

After some deliberation, I charge my Knights into his Stormwind, and my Sergeants into the Hunters of the Wild. I move the Fancy Hats (the Regiment of Pole-Arms) up a bit, and angle them to the left (not sure why I didn’t angle to the right, or keep up centered; angling to the left proved to be the worst of all possible pivots). Having nothing to shoot at, and this being Invasion.. I move both my Crossbowmen units up (this also proves to be a bit of a mistake). With a few damage already, I figured with average rolls my Sergeants would rout the Hunters of the Wild, and reform. (This didn’t happen; both charges bounced). My center advanced. I think I was getting a little greedy? With the Dragon Kindred Lord and Drakon Riders off elsewhere, I was hoping I could punch through the center of the elvish lines.

I felt outmatched on my right against that Dragon Kindred Lord. Fortunately, I had a ton of units, and I decided to use ‘em. I set up a layered defense against the Dragon. While open to charges from both the Palace Guard Regiment and the Dragon Kindred Lord… the first unit of Mounted Sergeants was their only target. I decided to reinforce the layered defense by pivoting and trotting up my Knight Troop too. If the elves charged, there should be some good counter charges on my turn. If they declined to engage, I had a few charges next turn, or could try to set up the same layered trap again.

I'm guessing it's going to take a lot to take out that dragon-guy. Not to mention the regiment hiding behind that building... 
Turn 4 (Elves)

On the right, my opponent decided to take on my layered defense, and both the Regiment of Palace Guard and the Dragon Kindred Lord descended upon my unfortunate forward Troop of Mounted Sergeants.

All according to plan?
The Sergeants would die, and my opponent would overrun with the Dragon and reform with the Palace Guard, who turned to face my Knights, rather than take the hit in the flank.

On my left, my opponent struck back, punishing my models for their bounced charges.

Ouch! So much hurt for me on my left flank. Though, this pic is a bit of a moral victory for my army, as not a single elvish unit fighting here is modeled wysiwyg. The Hunters don't have a ranged attack, so they should have bows, sir. Huzzah!
Once my opponent figured out his charges against my cavalry on my far left, the Stormwind, previously seen lurking in the background saw a new opening, and charged one of my Crossbowmen units. While they were always intended to be sacrificed as chaff at some point (don’t tell them that though)… it was... too soon.

My, my. What a lovely banner. 
When combat was done, the Sergeants accrued an obscene amount of damage (20+?), and Routed. My Knights though, having previously disordered their elvish counterparts, held, taking only a single wound (his Stormwind cavalry also received a solid heal spell this turn though). The poor Crossbowmen fled the field, and disarray was what I was inheriting for my next turn.

Uff da. Punished for my mistakes...
Turn 5 (KoM)

My Knights charge his Stormwind, and slip some damage through, though I like that fight less now due to the heal, and having 3 units against my 1 now. That's not how MSU is supposed to work... Though, between the Knights and the Sergeants, they’ve tied up twice their points for several turns. While their charges haven’t resolved as planned, they have already done a great job delaying that flank.

The rest of my left flank goes into damage control mode. I decide to double down on my pivoting mistake for my Fancy Hats Pole-Arms Regiment, and they move up so they can step up and delay the elves once my Knights succumb to elvish blades.

The second unit of Crossbowmen charge the second unit of Stormwind, and receive a Bane-Chant 2 from the nearby Wizard. But they are just a stumbling block. A Regiment of Shield Wall pivots to help contain the Stormwind next turn.

My Regiment of Foot Guard is joined by the plucky Troop of Pole Arms as they advance toward the center line of the elves. We were getting towards the middle of the game, and I want to try and draw his yet-uncommitted units into a fight on his side of the table in an effort to play the scenario.

My ASB, after he apparently got into the good stuff. He has yet to inspire, or do much of anything all game. Also pictured; my more sober and more responsible units doing their thing.
On my right, the layered defense somewhere works to contain the Dragon Kindred Lord. The units are of course fighting on the slope of a hill, because that’s how tabletop games unfold, so the angles got a little goofy.
Unfortunately, the only thing that can charge the Dragon Kindred Lord is my last Troop of Mounted Sergeants. Luckily for me, with that resolved, a charge lane opens up for my Shield wall, and they hit the flank of the Palace Guard, with the Knights making a frontal assault. I roll really well for damage.

Then, the Nerve tests. I start with the Lord, and *gasp* my opponent informs me that he is Wavered! Good job Mounted Sergeants! The Palace Guard is routed, and my units reform.

The post-charge, pre-battle pic was blurrier than usual. Almost beyond recognition. But this was the result of the battle. No more Palace guard, and a scared Dragon Kindred Lord.
I continue down the line with my Nerve tests, and to my surprise, I roll up box cars the Stormwind’s test, and they flee the field. 

Turn 6 (Elves)

The Drakon Riders and Hunters of the Wild smush my Knights. Despite starting with just 1 damage… I know this is probably not going to go well (they rout). Still, I’ll take it. Those Knights were great this game.

Lady Luck smiled! for a moment at least. It appears I didn't believe it myself at the time, as I failed to reform my victorious Knights. Oops? They did an admirable job though.
My opponent started out the turn reeling a bit, but is clawing his way back. The Knights will rout, and he successfully casts Bane-chant on his Archers, which after slipping a few more wounds onto my advancing Foot Guard, are routed later in the turn. Curses!

Still, the Dragon Kindred Lord spent the turn sulking, and the Dragon Breath, which finally breathes towards my other Troop of Knights… lands only a paltry number of wounds are dealt. Not having Piercing is rough business against Knights I guess.

Turn 7 (KOM)

My remaining Knights retaliate, and smite the Dragon Breath weapon. They will reform to threaten the flank of his Regiment of Archers next turn. The Mounted Sergeants and Shield Wall swarm the Dragon Rider Lord, and introduce the beast and its master to a number of sharp objects.

Both of my Ballistae had been on a cold streak for a while. The right one scooched forward in the hope of getting in a shot later. The sudden disappearance of my Foot Guard had a tiny upside, in that I now had a clear line of fire for my left Ballistae, and it scores a hit a numerous wounds. At this point I remember my drunk ASB has the War Bow, and he moves, shoots, and manages to slip another point of damage onto the unit. An average roll should see them off… but it is not to be this turn (rolled really low). They were still threatened by the Knights and the Pole-Arms though…

The building protects the view from the heinous acts that occur when woodland folk meet ax-wielding folk. In the foreground, the Wizard tells the Shield wall to man up, and off to the right, the ASB is shown "taking a break" after finally doing something this game.
On my left, my Shield Wall, boosted with Bane Chant, cut through the Troop of Stormwind and the Fancy Hats finally manage to Rout those darned Hunters of the Wild.

As Nerve Checks are rolled, however, my opponent informs me that his Dragon Kindred Lord is a-ok this turn. There exists a chance he misread his stats the previous turn… but other possibility was that this was just probability in motion. I rolled really well (10 or 11) for the test that barely wavered him, and really poorly (4?) for this one. My test fell 1 short of wavering him this time, and I didn't put a lot of wounds on him, despite the better positioning, so I think the rolls were just averaging out. Boo. I really wanted to bag that dragon.

Turn 8 (Elves)

The Dragon Kindred Lord considers his options, and decides to wimp out, flying over the Sergeants to relative safety. Fleeing apparently winded the scaly brute, and the Breath Attack is pretty ineffectual.

Ohmygodohmygodohmygod. Ballista! Righty! Buddy! Get 'em!
Despite my Knights bearing down on them, the Archers act wisely, and pincushion my advancing Troop of Pole Arms, and even manage to Rout them with a high roll. Boo. The Troop of Palace Guard, who have spent the entire game twiddling their slender elven thumbs, decide it’s time to do something, and they start twirling (that’s how elves move, right?) slowly towards my side of the field, wary of my Shield Wall, which stands in their way.

.
The jury is still out on whether they were just being cautious, forgetful or lazy.
The Drakon Riders smash into the Fancy Hats, but roll terribly, and the lads hold their ground, keeping the Riders on their side of the field. Huzzah!

Turn 9 (KoM)

The Ballista on my right, who I don’t think hit anything all game... continues to miss. My left Ballista takes a shot against the Drakon Riders, but also misses.

On my far right, the Shield Wall set up camp in the enemy deployment zone. The Knights charge the Archers in the flank, and finally take them out. The Mounted Sergeants advance at the double, looking to (hopefully) contribute to the fight on my left flank should the game go long.

The Fancy Hats fearlessly charge the Drakon Riders back, and a few of the halberds find fleshy bits.

Turn 10 (Elves)

The Drakon Rider Lord charges my upstart Ballista on my right, and wins effortlessly. He’s out of charge range, but reforms to threaten my last Ballista in the coming turns.

The Troop of Palace Guard advance, trying to make it onto my side of the table for the scenario, while the Drakon Riders are healed, slay the Fancy Hats on the second try, and then reform to protect their slower kindred.

Ew. Sorry. I mean every report needs two blurry pictures? This angle just wasn't working and I wasn't running any QC on my photos the other day.
Turn 11 (KoM)

The dawdling Palace Guard Troop is charged in the front by my Shield Wall. After some consideration, my Knights charge in too, passing through the forest. Even with the hindrance, the elvish troop is eliminated. Both human units reform; the knights pivot to face the Drakon Riders (I assumed they would fly away, but wanted to see if my opponent remembered the scenario we were playing by offering up a tempting target), and the Shield Wall pivot to cower behind the building and hide from the Drakon Riders.

Left behind, my last Ballista pivots to face down the Dragon Kindred Lord (assuming the game goes long).

I never trusted Righty anyways. Lefty! Get 'em!
Turn 12 (Elves)

The Drakon Riders pivot and fly away, using the building as cover… and take their substantial points over to my half of the field. While I mopped up the rest of the army, the Lord and Riders eluded me, and account for almost 500 points.

Meanwhile, I have more units on his side, but they only total to around 300 (Knights, Sergeants, and a Regiment of Shield Wall). My two heroes are short (probably could have moved them over the halfway mark on Turn 11… oops). Fortunately, the game goes long! Yessss.

Turn 13 (KoM)

The end of a certain duel comes to mind... Come back here!
None of my units are able to engage his Riders, so its’s just a scramble for me onto the other side of the field for scenario points. Lefty lines up the last shot… and hits the Drakon Kindred Lord, dishing out a little more damage to the winged powerhouse. The Nerve test is rolled, and the Lord is merely Wavered. Shucks.

Wavered! Moral/useless victory #2!
Turn 14 (Elves)

Nothing of consequence. We started packing up.


In the end, my opponent got 575 points over the line versus my 570. My opponent’s (nearly) 500 points of fliers were bloodied, but survived the battle, and I again only eke out a draw due to extra turns. So... still no actual win for the Regnum Aeternum yet, but I’ll take a draw over a loss! Neither of us had played the scenario before, so it was cool to see what it was all about.

The Sergeants performed better than I expected, but I’ll be talking more about them in their Hobby Update post.

If folks have thoughts on the battle (or notice anything rules-wise we goofed), feel free to sound off! Playing roughly once a month has been a little hard on our rules retention and tactics. In doing the write up it looked like my opponent didn't know that fliers are Nimble by definition; and I forgot that Difficult Terrain (like forests) block line of sight to things behind them (so my rear-charge Turn 10 is iffy; I may not have been able to see those Palace Guard around the trees).

Despite the few rules shortcomings, I think we did pretty good overall. And we both played a good game, which was reflected in the close outcome. Most importantly, we had a good time.

Even though they survived the battle, and weren't as mobile as they probably should have been, I think my first run-in with big nasty fliers went well. I’m looking forward to the next bout!

4 comments:

  1. Hello!

    Thanks a lot for a great battle report! I hope I will have more time to provide some detailed comments but for now I just wanted to say I am truly impressed how many models and units you have at 1500 points!

    And they look splendid as an army on the battle field too!

    I like the layered formations that you used to fight the fliers. I think I will definitely try to use something like that myself :)

    Hopefully it is a good start for regular reports from you!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swordmaster how are you siding with the humans!! I feel so betrayed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That indeed looks like I am siding with them, I guess I will need to come back with the more balanced feedback that looks at the performance of both forces. :)

      Delete
    2. I left a longer reply with some comments about the game in the Battle Report section in the mantic forum.

      Cheers!

      Delete