Monday, April 11, 2016

New List - 1500 Points

I had a few unexpected games pop up in March, only to be cancelled at the last minute, so I was really excited to get a solid “yes” for a battle, even if it solidified the night before. It was to be against my typical elf-playing opponent, at 1500 points. I had two goals for the game:

1)      Test out these Mounted Sergeants!
2)      Give my opponent a good send off game (of sorts). He and his wife are expecting a baby (very) soon, so he might be a little too busy for KoW in the near future.

I figured both goals would be helped by a larger point limit than we had been playing. This morning, I set to work trying to craft a list to play tonight. Here is what I ended up with.

Regiment
Foot Guard
135
Troop
Knights
125
Troop
Knights
125
Hero
Wizard
50
Item
Talisman of Inspiration
20
Upgrade
Bane Chant
15
Regiment
Shield Wall
100
Troop
Mounted Sergeants
105
Troop
Mounted Sergeants
105
WM
Ballista
60
Regiment
Shield Wall
100
Troop
Pole-Arms
70
Troop
Mounted Sergeants
105
WM
Ballista
60
Regiment
Pole-Arms
100
Troop
Crossbowmen
85
Troop
Crossbowmen
85
Hero
Army Standard Bearer
50
Item
War Bow of Kaba
5

Before I talk about the list itself, I feel I should plug kow2.easyarmy.com. You need to add your bigger units first (it will give you an error if you try to add a hero or troop without having a unit to “unlock” that option, which is a nice feature, as you know your list is legit, but something to be aware of if you are a new visitor), but it is just a really slick way to “do” list building. The site even auto-includes all the special rules your units are using when you go to print or export your list. Again, very slick. If you haven’t seen this before, I’d highly recommend checking it out.

Anyways, this list starts like a typical list for me: with Shield Wall and Foot Guard Regiments providing the core building blocks (and mini-anchors) for the army, supported by some Ballistae and now a pair of Inspiring utility characters.  

I really wanted to test out Mounted Sergeants, so I added my three mostly-painted Troops. I’ll probably write much more about the Sergeants in the coming days, but to be succinct here, I figured they would do better supporting, screening and swarming rather than trying to be stand-alone shock troops, so I then added two Troops of sturdier Knights for them to interact with. I’m hoping 500 points of miscellaneous cavalry does something worthwhile this game.

Lastly, I wanted some additional bodies on the field, so in went the Regiment of Pole-Arms (the Fancy hats!) and some Crossbowmen Troops, as this was the first configuration I found to bring me to an even 1500 points. It’s uh... it's not an optimized list, by any means. But I'm excited to take it for a spin.

As it turns out, I ended up with another OCD MSU list – no wasted slots, no hordes, and lots and lots of feeble human units to clutter up the field! I just finished packing up, and will be heading out shortly to throw some dice. We’ll see what happens! I expect to have a summary of the game posted later this week.

1 comment:

  1. Quite a few units there! I am looking forward to the write up from the game!

    ReplyDelete