Thursday, February 4, 2016

Hobby Basics: Very Basic Basing

Part of transitioning my old GW Empire models over to Kings of War units involves some rebasing. In this case though, the “re” part of “rebasing” is a lie, as I’m starting on new (larger) bases for most of these models. Well, as long as I was doing it, I figured I’d do a basic hobby post on the process. 

All still magnetized, but mostly useless. I'm only reusing 2/10 most of the time.
I define basing as putting superfluous “stuff” onto a model’s base in order to show off the world the model inhabits. This can be a “real” world with typical shrubbery and dirt, or a more fantastical world with who knows what.

While they do sell hobby ballast, I have steered away from it. Something about painting something to approximate ground or sand or dirt, when I have all that right outside just seemed silly to me.

Like my painting approach, my basing approach leans toward the simplistic side of the hobby, with the idea being, that as my army fluff develops, I can add to my basing scheme with ease to flesh out their aesthetic world, rather than have to redo a lot of previous work if a new idea occurs to me or I change my mind about something. So, my most basic basing is just sand from a beach and pebbles from the unpaved parking area behind my apartment.

You don't need a whole lot.
Recently, I have been painting minis and preparing bases separately, and then attaching them once both are finished. You can attach minis to bases prior to painting or basing… but I found that I like having a model’s feel on the ground, rather than trying to build the ground around the feet. This process works for me; you are welcome to experiment and disagree.If your model can't separate from the base (like some Reaper plastics, for instance), just be careful when you apply the glue around the feet so you don't bury them.

PHASE 1:

Take your empty base, and apply a thin layer of Elmer’s Glue to it. On larger bases, I may use a toothpick to try and spread it thinly and evenly. I then take a spoonful of sand, and over the container, pour sand over the base a few times until the top is coated. Scrape off any glue or sand that dribbled down the side of the base.

Phase 1 in process... 
Phase 2:

Take your sandy base and some super glue (any kind of clear, liquid glue should work). Apply a few drops of super glue anywhere that looks “thin” on sand. Quickly, take a few spoonful of pebbles and (over the container of pebbles) pour the pebbles over the base a few times, making sure the new glue gets covered.
Phase 2: the two directly below the container have yet to get the pebble treatment.
Phase 3:

Using some kind of more “goopy” glue, apply it to your model’s feet, and attach the model to the base. You may need to hold the model in place for a few minutes while the glue sets.

Dudes on bases.
…so that’s it. Very, very basic basing. I really like snow effects, but an older army has those already, and I didn’t want to just jump right into using the same effect. I think a more rugged, desert approach will fit my army better, so this seems like a solid start. As I settle on what little things to add (sparse vegetation, maybe some flock and the like), I’ll provide some further updates. Again, this is a very simple, easy way to start basing minis.

I had hoped to get most if not all of my rebasing and GW transitions in before my new stuff started arriving… but I had a package from Fireforge Games show up today. We’ll see how much of the old stuff I can get finished off before the desire to work on new plastics for brand new units for the army takes hold… regardless of what gets my attention, I will have more hobby progress posted soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment