As teased, up now are some more Halberdiers for the Kingdoms of Men! Halberdiers (then termed Pole-Arms) were a staple of 2E play for the humans, and were a very nice way to flood the board with cheap CS. As troops, they could swarm around, hit flanks and be punching well above their weight. The troops return to the roster (for now), but are much harder to field with the new list building rules. Still, with a dozen models sitting around, I knew I needed to get these hobbied up and on the table and try in incorporate stuff from the past.
| The troops, ready enough. |
The models are Gripping Beast Late Roman Infantry, with axe heads swapped in to replace the kit's spear tips, and the last of my tiny bucklers from the Fireforge Byzantine Auxiliaries kit, to match the regiments from a few years back.
Painting-wise, these didn’t get anything special, and I just followed my old approaches with a gray base coat and then dry brushing to get up to an off-white for the tunics, Deathclaw Brown for the wood, and basic colors for everything else. Removing stands is a lot of work, and these ones are particularly thick, so in keeping with the other units as well as the rest of the army, we didn’t remove them here either. The basing got a little paste, paint, and then some tiny rocks to finish up, in-line with much of the rest of the army. As the paste was drying, I realized that one of the troops was glued on backwards. After some consideration, we're just leaving it for now. Rebasing this is more work than I want to do currently, and they are just troops. Putting purple on the shields was also getting messy, so we're leaving them white here to save us a headache. If they prove themselves on the field of battle, maybe they will get some touch-ups in the future! These aren't my best work, but hobbying is meant to be fun, and I would like to move on to other projects. These are done well-enough for right now. They were ok in their debut in Battle 051, but unfortunately did not find any flanks on their first outing. We'll try to find some more table time for them soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment