Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Hobby Update: Revenants on Undead Wyrms

Near the end of December, I completed a very old project of mine, a counts-as spooky Revenant Wyrm thing. I was leaning towards running that as the Revenant King on Undead Great Flying Wyrm, and these new additions will make that official for my collection, since up now are two Revenants on Undead Great Burrowing Wyrms!

The Revenants and their gross mounts.

It's been a bit of a stressful year so far, and finding these in a closet while doing some reorganizing earlier in the month, I decided to treat myself and hobby these up over the MLK weekend. The models are Carrion Lancers from the defunct Runewars game. The game actually has a lot of decent models if you can find them, though the models per box in Runewars can sometimes be a bit low for a Kings of War player to take proper advantage of. The Lancers here were a box of two models, but this happens to be perfect for a pair of titanic undead monsters!

I brought the rattle can inside overnight, and then braved some frigid temps the next day to prime these in mid-January. Again, I lucked out with the results, getting some good coverage with the primer. This was all done just before southern Wisconsin was buried with snow, and then over the snowy holiday weekend they got painted up. 

I decided I wanted the wyrms fleshy and pale. I gave the spines a tan base color and while the wyrm flesh got an off-white. I then returned to the Speed Painter paints: Pallid Bone for the spines and mandibles; Crusader Flesh for the skin; and a watered down Blood Red for the mouth area. The rest of the painting, like for the riders, was done with regular acrylic paints. Overall the wyrm is a little darker than I was envisioning, but I still like the look overall, so I am calling these done!

From another angle.

I blabbered on about these a bit already. The flying version of the wyrm looks to be a little easier to fit into lists since it Inspires, but these burrowing versions look like fun as well, and Strider should be very helpful since they only hit on 4's. Plagued Breath seems ok at first glance, but without any Piercing or other effect for the attack, probably isn't worth is most of the time. The damage output is going to be negligible, and the Undead don't have too many ranged options to help focus fire things down.

An errant thought to wrap up, but looking ahead to some future list ideas, I think the burrowing wyrms might compete with the Goreblight a bit, both being uninspiring Undead monsters. Goreblights seem good if your list has a lot of Shambling, but the wyrms have a number of small bonuses (more US, more Nerve, more CS, and more consistent attacks) that could give them the nod in a more varied list that runs Ghouls and Soul Reavers alongside the shambling undead. More and more testing ideas are piling up for the Undead. We'll try to get some games in soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment