Friday, September 8, 2023

Recommendation: One Page Rules 3.0

Life still hasn't quite slowed down enough for my liking, so I am just posting another recommendation for now. I have actually recommended them once before, but a new release deserves a new recommendation in my book. in my book One Page Rules has just released a 3.0 versions of their main rulesets


In the years since my earlier post, I did actually get in a handful 2nd Edition games from one of the larger-scale fantasy rule sets. Kings of War is still head and shoulders above OPR for my own preferences, but OPR was still a fine system, and one I wouldn't mind exploring a bit more. A quick readthrough of 3rd  and some of my armies (I am by no means an expert) looks to have made a number of very welcome improvements. 

It is a flexible system, but that is a bit of a double edged sword. For Fantasy, so you can go with regiments or blobs (and the rulesets play slightly differently, with regiments worrying about pivots), and 3.0 has optional force creation rules, and three ways to choose from for units/models drawing line of sight during the game. This variety is arguably good as you can tweak stuff to play the game you want, to, but can also be a detriment as it is harder to get on the same page as your opponent. Still, the core rules remain simple and streamlined, and with the alternating activations, this should be a fun and quick way to introduce folks to wargaming, or get some use out of some long-neglected models. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment