Saturday, July 8, 2023

Hobby Update: Herd Rimewings (Scorchwings)

While the Griffon purchases didn't pan out for Scorchwings, things ended up ok there, and Ebay came to the rescue for my Scorchwing desires. Up now are for the Herd are some new Scorchwings! Or maybe Frostwings, given my painting theme. Rimewings?

The new regiments.

I picked up some Chaotic Beasts for about half-price on Ebay. I don't often shout-out specific sellers, but I've purchased from Mindtaker Miniatures a few times now, and each transaction has just been great. Their shipping costs are a little higher, but every mini has been expertly packed, and I've had nothing but good transactions so far. This Ebay bundle had the 6 Chaos Furies (which may show up as Harpies sometime after the move). All the minis have tongues and claws and wings, and were pre-owned and so came pre-assembled. Mindtaker individually-wrapped everything, and it all arrived safely, and I continue to be very impressed by the seller.

They can be combined to make a horde, if needed, though I need to pick up a movement tray.

As an old Chaos player, I must say that I begrudgingly like the design of these newer chaos minis. The designers look to have made a nice amalgam of chaotic influences. You've got nice Slaanesh hooks and tail-claw-things, Khorne neck frills, Tzeentch avian features, and the bulbous bellies courtesy of Papa Nurgle. Plus, the wings are all various heights, so even on their normal oval bases there were no issues with bumping when grouped together. Well done! 

I really liked my Mounted Scouts in the Kingdoms of Men, and the Scorchwings here look to perform a similar supporting and harassing role. However, the Scorchwings have better Speed, Melee, Ranged, Defense and Nerve values, plus have a more commanding height to see targets, and get both Fly and Thunderous Charge 1, making them much more survivable and much more of a threat than my beloved Scouts. They should be a lot of fun on the table, and may even win some melee combats!

These got finished up in late June, and while I am quite eager to try them out, this is likely the last post for a bit. My wife and I are in the middle of a protracted local move, and most of my hobbying and gaming stuff is packed up already. It is unlikely anything worth posting about will manifest in July for me, but I should hopefully be back sometime in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment