Thursday, May 11, 2023

Hobby Update: Herd Tracker and Chieftain

Up now are two more characters for my growing Herd, a mighty Chieftain and a sneaky Tracker! 

I got these from the Bard's Forge shop over on etsy. I needed to order more Ents to complete my Forest Shamblers since I misjudged the size of the minis, but buying one last grouping wasn't quite enough to break into the free shipping threshold, so I picked these up. Both are from RN Estudio: the Quickspear and Sureflight Archer. The shop cleaned them up nicely, and after a quick perfunctory wash and rinse they were primed and ready for hobbying!

The minis are more dynamic than most of my typical wargaming minis, and came with special bases to accommodate their poses. Unfortunately, the bases were large and circular, so I had to break the resin base prints and then glue the important bits onto the final, infantry-sized square base. This proved to be a bit of a challenge, but with some putty to help disguise the join early on and some snow effect to cover it all up at the end, these both came out looking ok! The paint job was nothing fancy, pulling the blues and bark from all the other recent Herd units. 

The Chieftain.

The Great Chieftain is pretty expensive for a lone infantry model, but is Inspiring, and has got rather good stats overall. Coupling the stats with special rules like Individual, Pathfinder, CS1 and TC1, so should be able to put a wound on most things in melee. He's also got a variety of options, like a Hunting Cat to get Duelist, a Shortbow for non-piercing ranged attacks, and a unique Horn of the Great Migration, giving the hero two good auras to support his kin with Wild Charge 1 while disheartening his foes with Dread.

The Tracker. Though, with the mask, I suppose he could alternatively be a Chieftain with bow?

I already have a Tribal Tracker, but the model is old and doesn't really match all that well with the old GW Ungor, or much anything else in the army, really. I still needed one more mini to break through into free shipping for the order, so picked this mini up as well. I figured these two minis went well together, and would add a little aesthetic consistency to the army. With this mini done, I can run whichever Tracker I feel like, or heck, even both, with the looks distinguishing between various items and such.

The heroes look to provide some good options for the army, and I'll try to get them on the table sometime soon to test out!

No comments:

Post a Comment