Friday, May 6, 2022

Kings of War 3rd Edition: #004: KoM vs NA [Dominate]

This is the second of the two games play on April 30th. My opponent still wanted to explore the ranged options of their army more, and swapped over to their second list. This time they were fielding:


The list is pretty similar to the previous one, and again props to Tactical Wargames for the list builder they run. The Ice Elementals and Naiads return to form my opponent's main line. The new lists drops the expensive magic items on the Elementals, one unit of Ice Kin Hunters and one unit of Snow Foxes in favor of a new Horde of Snow Trolls and a third (!) Bolt Thrower. The list comes in at 13 drops 22 Unit Strength, on-par with their previous list. 

I brought the list above, again utilizing EasyArmy and some old list ideas. My list a another very wide list with 18 drops and 33 Unit Strength, almost entirely infantry regiments. When making the list I was curious if spreading a little Crushing Strength over a large number of units would be a viable alternative to a few very punchy units (Knights, Giants, Mammoths). I had the following things in mind that I wanted to explore, with admittedly a fair amount of overlap with the previous game's goals:

  • Pole-Arm Regiments / Foot Guard / Fanatics. These are my infantry options with Crushing Strength, but which option would perform the best? 
  • Bowmen Regiments / Crossbowmen. Bowmen provide some cheap unlocks and ranged attacks. Crossbowmen have piercing. Do I notice a difference in damage output? Are these worth taking?
  • Wizards. The list lacks much actual chaff, and I figured the mounted Wizards with Lightning Bolt may be able to provide some good utility and roadblocks.
  • Hero on Horse. He's been hobbied up for ages, but I can't recall if he ever saw the table. For sure he's not been fielded in 3rd yet. I figured I would add one in and see how he fared. 
  • Infantry-focused. The Kingdoms of Men can field a lot of bodies. I decided to take no Knights and no Giants in this second list, to see if a very wide, regimental infantry-focused approach seemed viable. 

With lists out of the way, let's get on to the game!

Deployment and Set-Up

We continued working our way randomly through the established scenarios, and ended up with Dominate this time. This is a pretty classic king of the hill style scenario, where we are trying to control a central zone with the most unit strength.

We were using an app for placing terrain, and got a very cluttered central zone this time around, which would not only complicate the firing lines for my opponent's Bolt Throwers but also make contesting the central zone very messy. There would like be a lot of hindered charges in the middle. As I recall, sometime during this game we discovered the cover rule for an obscured base and started using it.

I decided to deploy aggressively again, and three factors fed into this decision. His various hordes were going to be hard to break, and I didn't want to be boxed out of the scoring zone. Second, even with limited firing lanes, three war machines seemed like a lot to overcome. I have so much stuff and I am unlikely to be able to hide it all. If I deploy too far back, I'll just be shot off. The third was my list being essentially all infantry. I am not speedy, so I felt I need to be a little closer to the line to start with to have a fighting chance in the game.

My general plan was to use the central building on my side to divide the field basically in two, and with it as an anchor, envelop the center, alligator-style when my opponent approached. It's not a bad plan, but I think I deployed a little haphazardly. With so many units, and such a high unit strength overall, I think I should have actually been more cautious, deploying more conservatively. The forests and hills can obscure most of my army. The war machines came down relatively early. I think I should have just left a token force here, whatever was already deployed, and just overloaded the safer right flank. I don't recall the drop order, and it's hard to say which approach would be best. I will say I struggled to come up with a good deployment plan given so many units. I think I overwhelmed myself a bit with the number of units I was running, and probably should have done some more prep before hand. I wasn't sure how likely we were to get a second game in, and this was by far the weaker of the two lists in my estimation.

For deployment, my opponent placed all three Bolt Throwers on my left-hand side. The forests and Height 2 hills really limited his fields of fire. Supporting them was the Snow Troll Horde and one of the two Snow Fox packs. That arrangement with the Clansmen worked well in Battle 003, so we'll see how the stronger Trolls manage to defend the war machines.

Deployment, with my left side.

On my left side were regiments of Militia, both Fanatics and with Pole-Arms in reserve. I learned a little from the last game, but the Fanatics still aren't the best screens! My thinking here was that the Fanatics be more aggressive, with the Pole-Arms forming a bit of a second line as needed. The intrepid Hero was here on the left too with the Crossbowmen targeting the center. The ASB, Foot Guard and Pikes continued the line towards the building. Hiding behind that central building is my General.

Deployment, with my right side.

My opponent again had a strong center, which makes sense, especially given the scenario! The hordes of Naiads, and Ice Elementals were joined by the Clansmen, with Snow Foxes and the legendary hero behind, ready to support. On his left was the Lord on Frostfang and single regiment of Ice Kin.

Coming from the right of my General behind that central building were another regiment each of Pikes, Pole-Arms, and Foot Guard. I deployed the skewed Bowmen very early on, trying to get a good view towards the center, like I had tried with the Crossbows on the left. With the Ice Kin committed here, they were joined by the second regiment and inspiring Wizard on foot. When the Lord on Frostfang came down here as well, the other two mounted wizards arrived as well to try and mitigate. 

The scout move from the sneaky Kin.

It was a pretty concentrated list from my opponent, and a very, very wide list from me. The terrain will make things interesting in the center for sure! My opponent got a Scout move with the Kin, moving behind the hill, and then secured first turn again.

Top of Round 1: Northern Alliance

On my left, the Bolt Throwers loosed. One hit my Pikes on the left for 3 damage; one hit the Fanatics for 4, and the third either shot at the Fanatics as well or missed the Militia. Alas I did not track shots and this is a few days after the game! Nonetheless, bolts connected and damage was done.

Opening moves on the left-hand side.

The Snow Trolls moved up with the Foxes at their heels, to help zone out the threats to the war machines.
Not a great start to the archer war I wanted.

Then on my right, the Ice Kin took the hill, and with their steady aim, are able to inflict 6 wounds on a Bowmen regiment, wavering them. The Lord crept up, joining the elves on the hill.

My opponent's center advanced again in menacing unison, but did nothing else significant this turn.

Bottom of Round 1: Kingdoms of Men

My plan on my right was to overload the Kin with projectiles, and then move on to the Clansmen. If the Lord on Frostfang committed to anything here, I should be able to counter him with my General. That was the plan at least. Little moved here, though the General did change facing to signal intent.

My opening moves on the right.

I moved one mounted Wizard up to roadblock, but this is arguably a bit premature? I could have moved them back as well with the same overall results. I think I was expecting the Kin to fall this turn, and wanted him aggressively forward to tempt my opponent's Lord into a charge and slow him down, or to carry things on against the Dwarf Clansmen swiftly on my next turn. Alas, the Wizards all threw their lightning, and the unwavered Bowmen regiment loosed arrows as well. A total of 4 wounds were dealt to the elves, who stuck around easily. So much for weight of fire...

Lining up some future charges on my left while the Hero uh... heroically moves out.

On the left, the mounted Hero moves speedily out, zeroing in on the Bolt Throwers. The Militia moved up to take a hit, with the Fanatics moving into support with charges next turn. The Pole-Arms moved up, but didn't commit anywhere yet. The Crossbows fired, and I think scored 1 damage against the Naiad Horde.

Top of Round 2: Northern Alliance

On the left, one Bolt Throwers fires into the wounded Fanatics (I think deals 6 damage) and removes them from the board. The second fires at the previously untouched Fanatics, dealing 4 damage. The third and final Thrower, nearer the center of the field, fires again into my Pikes, dealing 4 new damage and wavering them. The Bolt Throwers have done juuust over 20 damage so far!

A messy left flank as we posture for better positions.

The Trolls back up and the Snow Foxes slip out in front. The Foxes could not charge given the tall trolls in front of them at the start of the turn. This maneuvering gets the Trolls out of the wild charge range of the remaining Fanatics unit though. 

An unfortunate development on my right... that lord is very quick!

On the right, the surviving Kin charge the mounted wizard, dispatching him easily. The nimble Lord 
on Frostfang chargs as well, into the wounded and wavered Bowmen who break. He decides to overrun, and gets an inch or so out of charge range of my General. With all the sidestepping last game, I didn't remember or appreciate just how speedy the Lord on Frostfang could be and I was not anticipating him in my lines quite yet! This is bad, but hopefully salvageable, as thankfully the overrun means he will need to reposition next turn, giving me a little time to react.

Bottom of Round 2: Kingdoms of Men

I can't get to the Lord, but if memory serves I can get to the Dwarfs in the front or the Kin in the flank. I decide to charge the Kin, and fortunately prevail over them. We measure it out, and I'd need a 2+ on the overrun to get out of the charge arc of the Dwarf unit. Unfortunately, I roll a 1 on the overrun.

You'd think the flying lord would be quicker... 

The remaining wizards on my right both maneuver to zap the Lord, dealing a combined 3 damage. With such a wide, fragile line, I really can't have him back here, but any damage I can do now should be worthwhile later. The Bowmen loose against the Dwarves, and it looks like they do 1 damage.

This area was just a mess.

On the left, I am definitely cowed a bit. There is a bright spot here though, in that the Hero is now in range of one of the war machines, and can start picking those off next turn.

I figured the Fanatics and their fearless might do ok here, blitzing up, taking a few hits but pressing on. But the Bolt throwers have been far more punishing that I was anticipating. With my opponent moving back a bit here, I decide to move the Fanatics towards the middle. As they didn't have a shot, the Crossbows also move up, taking some pot shots at the Naiads then but not hitting. That's expected though given the penalties involved. It's still nice to be able to move and try to shoot. The Pole-Arms stick around, waiting to be thrown towards the Snow Trolls to delay them, whenever the Trolls start eyeing up the the center.

Top of Round 3: Northern Alliance

The Snow Trolls immediately eye up the middle, and I regret pivoting the Fanatics away. That's an error on my part - they should have lurked here. It would be another turn . At least one Bolt Thrower fires at them, dealing two more damage to the Fanatics and bringing them up to 6 damage, though they do stick around. The middle Bolt Thrower fires at the wavered Pikes on my left, which hasn't been pictured much here in the report yet, and routs them. I had Indomitable Will on them, but honestly forgot about it last turn when I could have used it, and were inspired anyways by the nearby ASB.

End of the movement phase.

On my right, the picture got corrupted, but the Dwarf Clansmen do charge the General in the rear, dealing 4 damage and grounding him. Snow Foxes maneuver to prevent some possible double-charging, and the Ice Elementals both move up, firing two salvos of ice shards against the Pikes on my right, and blast them off the table. They too have Indomitable Will, but no chance to activate it. 

With regimental-style play, the Indomitable Will upgrade seems harder to use well. Most units don't seem sturdy enough to reliably use the ability in a reactionary way. I think I will drop it from most units for the next few games and see how the lists fare.

Bottom of Round 3: Kingdoms of Men

On the right, the Wizards blast the Lord on Frostfang, getting him up to 6 damage. My General wheels the flying beast around to fight the Clansmen. The Bowmen flee from the menacing Lord on Frostfang to aid their general. The Foot Guard fight the Snow Foxes, and Pole-Arms bravely charge one of the Ice Elemental Hordes on their own. This is not how I wanted to engage the hordes, but the enemy Lord is complicating matters. I figured it's probably better to engage piecemeal here than sit back and get let the Lord take something out next turn for nothing.

No idea where the 1 damage came from on the Clansmen, as this should be a picture in the movement phase... Maybe the Bowmen landed a lucky arrow last turn?

When all is said and done here, the Foxes and Clansmen are luckily routed. The General backs up a few inches and the Bowmen pivot to face the enemy Lord. I don't know what to do with the Foot Guard, as they look screwed no matter what. With positioning, they couldn't overrun to safety, and pivoting was rough too.  They could face the Lord, which is the obvious threat, but the second Ice Elemental Horde could squeeze through for a shard volley or even a rear charge against them if my opponent so desired. The other Elemental Horde could easily win against the Pole-Arms without support.

The right flank is about about half of its starting strength.

I weighed options for a minute and then decided to have the Foot Guard assume the position. Tripling the Lords attacks was better than tripling those of the Elementals, and this should open up the Lord to a charge from the General at least, should he charge here. Honestly though, I've lost about a third of my army already, and feel like positioning the Foot Guard is akin rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Yeah, double-charging the Snow Trolls here would have been nice. 

On the left, the Militia attack the Foxes, dealing 1 damage, and the Pole-Arms charge the Snow Trolls, dealing 3. Had I pivoted the Fanatics here instead, this may have gone better. 
That definitely seems like an error on my part. This wouldn't have saved the game, but I needed every little bit here! One-on-one is not how I beat these large infantry hordes. I need something more like three-on-one to take them out with my infantry, even when I have some Crushing Strength.

Top of Round 4: Northern Alliance

The crack-backs are crippling, as expected. On the left, the Foxes counter-charge the Militia, dealing 3 and wavering them. The Snow Trolls chew through the Pole-Arm Regiment, and eye up the Fanatics next. The Bolt Thrower in the corner fires, and manages to score two wounds against the poor Crossbowmen, which I think is twice the damage they have done this game.

On the right, the Lord and Ice Elementals eat through both the Pole-Arms and Foot Guard, though I cannot recall what ultimately killed the latter regiment.

Bottom of Round 4: Kingdoms of Men

My army is basically shattered at this point. Moves are made, but it's more for testing and my learning that putting up a real resistance. There is no way I can come back from this. 

The Fanatics are a bit of a letdown here.

On the left, the Fanatics charge the Trolls, seeking revenge, but only roll up 2 damage, which is an abysmal performance. The Militia are wavered and with no support, simply stay put. The Crossbowmen shoot, but I don't think wound the Naiads, even with a nice, full volley. The only highlight here is another war machine taken out by the Hero.

Archers are all that remain to really play the scenario on the right. Though the Kin are gone, so I guess technically I win the archer-war? Right?

On the right, the General nimbly repositions, taking advantage of the two pivots. I don't remember if the Bowmen freely but feebly shoot or scoot back and even more feebly shoot to try and draw things away from the middle. Either way, nothing hits with their volleys. The Wizards manage another two damage on the Lord, but they hold strong and this game is over. 

A victory to the Northern Alliance!

Game Conclusion

My opponent again played a great game with a solid list. This time the Ice Elementals were a little less impressive, but still quite strong and I think those will be sticking around in my opponent's lists. All-around good plays and decisions from him here. He seems to have a solid core concept for his army and is exploring around the edges here.

I on the other hand, am still finding my feet in 3rd and exploring my army. This list proved to be very soft, and really just lacked the tools to compete. 


Testing Conclusion
  • Pole-Arm Regiments / Foot Guard / Fanatics. None were great performers, but I think the more balanced, elite Foot Guard will have the most promise in this particular match-up, and I'll start with them in future lists, tapping the Pole-Arms if I have the points and/or need some nice cheap unlocks.
  • Bowmen Regiments / Crossbowmen. I wasn't expecting much and I'm still disappointed! The firing lanes were a bit awkward for the Crossbowmen; ideally they shouldn't have to move much in-game, so I definitely used these rather poorly. With more experience the Crossbowmen and their piercing bolts could have some promise. I think this match-up is particularly bad for Bowmen though, given the higher armor NA units typically have. I was even able to get into a bit of an archer war this game, supported by a trio of wizards, which didn't go well at all for me. Again, could be nice for a cheap unlock, but neither of these are a huge priority to fit into future lists, unless I desperately need that unlock.
  • Wizards. I was intrigued by the wizards, but they mostly just felt bad both games. Granted both games found them reactively dealing with the tough Lord on Frostfang instead of say, hunting the other character, so they weren't used optimally. But yeah, these were underwhelming. Lightning Bolt 3 seemed only enough to do 1 damage reliably, and there was still a handful of times when nothing connected. I think in the right list these could be good, but this was not the list.
  • Hero on Horse. One bright spot in this particular list was the hero, who hunted the war machines like a champ. That was a very good use for him. 
  • Infantry-focused. I thought disbursing Crushing Strength all around the list might work, but this was not a good showing. The units I ran were pretty weak to any and all shooting, and I quickly lacked the strength to tackle even one of my opponent's hordes.
I would say that emphasizing infantry regiments isn't really a viable approach as it turns out, though I will definitely admit with a little more experience I could have used the list better. The infantry I was was relatively weak and cheap, but not enough to spam and overwhelm like I was hoping. Things got bled away pretty quickly, and in both games just the infantry couldn't really compete with stuff like the Ice Elementals, and I think those kinds of units (Large and Monstrous Infantry Hordes) pose a unique problem for infantry in that the relatively small footprints make it difficult to pile in on them like I was hoping to do with this list. I think the Kingdoms of Men definitely have the tools to compete; I just didn't bring any in this second game. 

Infantry-focused (so kinda Dwarf-style) might be viable casual playstyle for the Kingdoms of Men, but I think we would want to run hordes instead of regiments. You pay a tax for regiments (and troops), and had I run hordes of all these double regiments instead, I would have saved over 200 points, all while increasing their nerve and damage output on anything that happened to connect. I'd run mostly hordes with war machines were I to try an infantry-focused list out again. 

Still, lump-taking aside, this was a fantastic way to spend a Saturday. I definitely learned a lot from both of these games and came away with a lot of ideas for future lists and tests. Many thanks again to my opponent for hosting and for a great day! And congrats on the win!

4 comments:

  1. Good game! The combination of the scenario, the terrain, and the lists made this a really tough match-up. My bolt throwers outperforming chance and deleting a few early units didn't help your odds, either. From a tactical perspective, I'm not sure what you should have done differently, as the plan was sound--it seemed doomed by the circumstances, unfortunately. Your mounted hero got to the bolt throwers and eventually shut them down, but it was a little too late to matter at that point.

    The MSU/MMU approach is a really hard match-up against elite Northern Alliance hordes in dominate.

    I'll be thinking through some more wrinkles to test out in our next match-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Tough game but I learned a lot. Looking forward to the next matches!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reports, and the analysis. Regiment spam is a hobby horse of mine as well, and there was a time late 2E where I went through all the factions and evaluated what single regiment I could just hammer down on (with heroic support staff) to get that checker board experience I was after. The long and short of it, I ended up with Herd Longhorns at the top, and did some testing with 10 regiments of them + friends (pre-3E glow-up). It didn't turn out great! Neither did my tests with regiment spam Ratkin, tho that faction really favors hordes thanks to the free rally :/

    Anyway, that's to say I feel ya, and appreciate testing and sharing your results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the infantry checkerboard is indeed an alluring approach! Alas...

      The Longhorn spam is a neat idea as they just hit so hard. It wouldn't be a single unit spam, but I've been thinking Elves might have a shot at doing the regimental infantry approach nicely? Good toolbox of units, and slightly better stats overall without too high of a cost.

      Thanks for visiting and for posting!

      Delete