Friday, October 1, 2021

Hobby Update: Lizardfolk Warband

Still catching up on some non-Kings of War hobbying posts. This summer I got into some semi-random hobbying on a variety of warbands, instead of Kings of War things. It was nice to paint up a few minis each week and just explore a few ideas in very limited ways rather than batch paint a unit, or worry about a full army scheme.

A lot of these summer warbands coincided with my rediscovery of ebay, and the ability to buy sprues instead of full, new boxes. This is great for this kind of circumscribed hobbying, though price-wise, you are almost always better to buy the full box. New-on-Sprue tends to come with a bit of a premium.

The first individual sprue I snagged this summer was in June, from an old Lizardmen kit. I think just an iteration of the old, basic Saurus Warriors. I expanded the little warband I had done up the previous year in the Wiley Games post, and with some reinforcements, they look a little more menacing now! 

The static grass continue to shed... you can see a few fuzzies in the box. 

The sprue had four lizards, which I modeled up into two spears, and then did some very light conversion work swapping in hand weapon heads instead of spear-tips to make two polearm-wielding lizardfolk. This seems like a nice little warband now. 

There is a fantasy-themed game from One Page Rules. I think these port reasonable well into that, but honestly, just did these up for fun; all the fantasy warbands to come were pretty lackadaisical. I don't know what they will be used for... honestly these will probably just be lizardfolk and kobolds in D&D.

Orange was the big hobby experiment here, which worked out a little better this time. It was Army Painter paint, and still took a few coats, but it seemed to go better than last time. It could just be I understood I needed a few coats to get the coverage I wanted. 

The second hobby experiment was pressing on with basing and grass. I added a lot of static grass and tufts here, trying to get a more overgrown jungle look to these. Without huge bushes or trees, the overgrown effect falls a bit short, but I was happy with my groundcover effect overall, though the grass continues to shed a bit. I'm experimenting with some solutions for that, and should have a Hobby Basics post covering my experience with grass soon.

Yeah, not much more to say on these. They were a fun little experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment