Friday, July 23, 2021

Hobby Update: More KoM Pikes

My painting has never been amazing, so I tend to eschew expensive centerpiece units, and run wide lists more often than not. With this approach... it is hard for me to say "no" when hobbying on an army. If a unit is good enough to run, why not hobby up three or four or five and give yourself some real good flexibility with list building?

Last year, I did up a regiment of Pikes for my Kingdoms of Men army, and I then immediately wanted another for the reasons above. Unfortunately, the lances were hard to come by. After scoping out bits sites in vain for a year, I relented and through ebay, acquired more lances-with-arm bits from a box of Fireforge Teutonic Knights. Expensive lances, but the Teutonic sculps and ascetic are cool and iconic, and I will find uses for them eventually.

Hobby space is still at a ridiculous premium for me, but I was able to do up a second regiment of pikes at long last! It's been over a year, but the hobby process should the same as the previous regiment, and all my thoughts on the unit expressed in that previous post should still hold true today. 


The pikes make it hard to get a good camera shot from the front.
So I think that means I did a good job with them?

I actually ran out of pristine square shields, so had to substitute battle damaged shields from the Veterans kit to finish these off. I decided they would go in the front, as that made sense to me. This will be a second regiment, so that difference should "sell" each regiment being a bit unique, though they still look fine all ranked up as a (potential) horde. While I believe the meta these days says that the best way to run these is as a horde, I still want to give the multiple small units approach a go whenever I can, so these will probably be run as separate units on the table. I mean, meta doesn't matter to me since I don't play competitively (well, I don't play at all right now), so might as well run goofy things.

A horde of pointy things.

My basing has changed a bit over the years. The Regnum here has primarily gotten paste, and while the paste name has stayed the same, the consistency has varied a little between the three bottles I have purchased. I don't know if I didn't mix them up consistently enough or what, but the stands are looking pretty pronounced in this new unit. That is a dilemma for another day though. For now, my army is still homogenous enough on the techniques and aesthetics that I am not going to bother with any touch-ups yet. 

So yeah, another Regiment of Pikes ready to go! Space is still at an extreme premium in the apartment, and unfortunately time is too. But hobbying has been relieving stress, and I've got some prep work in on some of the new Fireforge Byzantines, so more to come soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment