Friday, December 8, 2017

Varangur: Sons of Korgaan

One final update for the week. I still have a bunch of old Warriors sitting around, all with big nasty-looking weapons, which I intend to run as units (three regiments, probably) of Sons of Korgaan. Most of the models need to actually be assembled, primed, etc, but this unit of Khorne Warriors was actually painted up fully back in my Warhammer days, and I figured I could transition this unit over pretty quickly while ill/recovering.

The unit is a little crowded..
I was right! Some washes here and there, and a few touchups and we're all set. As mentioned before, I have a lot of these Warrior models. Anything with the smaller weapons from the kit I'm running as Bloodsworn. These bigger halberd-toting models, are Sons.

Game-wise, they have a solid stat line and can both take and give hits freely. In fact, looking at these guys, I am reminded of my lengthy post from yesterday regarding Mounted Sons of Korgaan and Direfang Riders.

This is an interesting unit to add to that discussion.

Mounted Sons are still Knights; fantastic on the charge. Their slower counterparts on foot are similarly durable, (same Nerve even) but better able to grind out fights, owing to their Crushing Strength attacks. 

That... sounds familiar. The Direfangs were grinders as well, so these Sons on foot almost seem like a  (slightly) cheaper version of the Direfang Riders: something durable (again, exact same Defense and Nerve), slow, and murderous. Both can serve as powerful anchors in an army.

The Sons are cheaper, and will put out respectable damage while they hold the line.

The Direfangs, however, I think are meant to be the Varangur's best counter-punching unit. It's as tough as they come, but with those extra attacks and Strider to help make sure things get hit. It is meant to not only hold your line, but actively and fiercely push back.

Again, this is all theory; I have not gotten a game in with these units, or in a while. I will have a lot to test when the Varangur hit the table next time!

3 comments:

  1. Those look... intimidating and the photo is great too. I'm curious what you are doing for the base to make what looks like a slight mounding. Is that just textured paint or are you using plaster, spackle, clay etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking at your basing articles now.

      Delete
    2. Hey, thank you very much Dan! The basic Warrior of Chaos is one of my favorite models to paint, and I'm glad you liked how these turned out!

      The base is Vallejo Paste (as you found out), slopped around some broken up cork board. My Hobby Basics post about snow drifts has a shot of a typical painted base, and the Hobby Basics post on Tundra Basing has some step-by-step shots of building up a base like this.

      I've found this approach is *really* nice for basing models that don't have stability stands (like most Games Workshop models), as you can hobby up the base and models separately, and just glue them together down the line. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete