Thursday, April 21, 2016

Common Themes in MSU Lists


I wanted to devote another thread to exploring MSU. After some back-and-forth with Swordmaster late March on some previous posts, I started digging through some old Warhammer Fantasy posts of mine. I was looking to see how I had explained the MSU style of play in the past, and what insight those definitions in "laymen's terms" could provide to jump start some thinking in Kings of War.

The best summary I gave was the following, summarized here:

-You take only the characters you need
-You run lots of smaller units over big blocks
-Ideally, nothing is game-breaking should you lose it

Warhammer and Kings of War, however, are two different games. While it helped to frame my thoughts, this summary didn't translate well, due to it being applicable to a different games. More work and thought was needed.

You could say the Swordmaster and I are trying to essentially gain our knowledge via a more "bottom-up" oriented method: playing games with our armies and trying to noodle out for ourselves what units and tactics work for us. Ideally, at some nebulous point, we'd have enough experience to compare notes, and find places where our choices (regarding stuff like similar unit selection, or similar in-game tactics) overlap, and give some insight into how a MSU-style list is built and played. Bottom-up is a solid way to approach this, as it's pursuit of knowledge is based on experience.

It may be a bit premature (I’m not an accomplished player; and there aren’t a lot of explicitly identified MSU lists out there), but I think approaching MSU from a more "top-down" approach might provide some good food for thought for anyone interested in trying an MSU force for themselves. Start with a more general idea, and try to to apply it elsewhere. Ideally, coming at it from both ways would let us explore MSU in more depth and with more success than trial and error.

As mentioned above, the commonalities we would be looking to find could be found either in more specific things like tactics (how to deploy a given kind of MSU list; what to shoot at when, etc) or in more general, strategic things (like list building and looking at what types of units are taken). As also mentioned above, I’m not an accomplished Kings of War player, so I’m going to ignore the former in favor of the latter. This more analytically-focused work is low-hanging fruit I can try to tackle in between games.

So the last few months I've been examining some self-proclaimed MSU lists that have found online, as well as others list that have similar methods but aren't so explicitly named. As Swordmaster had argued and predicted, each army does seem to have its own take on building a MSU force, but I have found some tenuous themes. In general, an MSU-style list will:

-Largely avoid Magic Items

Arguments can be made for some items (like the Inspiring Talisman or Maccwar's Potion of the Caterpillar), but generally I only saw a few run per list (0-3). The logic would be that the points are generally better spent on fielding more units, rather than upgrading a bunch of troops.

-Avoid big point sinks in list building

I’ve seen the term "point sink" bandied about online… but not even urban dictionary has an actual entry for the term. I have tossed around a few possible definitions in my head. Each approaches it from a different perspective, so all three are below. Hopefully one of them will speak to you, and get my general point across. I have defined a point sink as:

“Something that takes up an unreasonable amount of points for what it does.”
The efficiency-conscious approach. You don’t take units that don’t do their job well; or take a Horde to do a Troops job. Inappropriately-costed units have seemed to be less of a thing in Kings of War though, as internal army choices are pretty balanced.

“Something that costs so many points, losing it severely hinders your chance of willing.”
The loss-mitigation approach. If you need it to win your games, don’t take it. If your list falls apart without it, don’t take it (and revise your list). Lists that subscribe to the MSU style generally have some redundancy built in, and units cheap enough that any and everything could be expended for the sake of pursuing victory.

“Something that costs more than 10% of your army.”
The mathematically-inclined approach. Simple to understand and apply to your list. Does this unit cost more than 10% of your army? If so, you should have a good reason for including it. Not to say that you can’t or shouldn’t run it (some fantastic units are bobbing around at this cutoff point, and rules were made to be broken and all that), but you maybe shouldn’t run too many of these costly units, or you’ll quickly find yourself with fewer units than your typical opponent, which is a bad spot for an MSU army to be!

-Run more, smaller-sized units over fewer, larger options.

It's hard to define what counts as a small unit, which seems odd for a game that spells out so precisely the sizes of the units in the game. The issue is that there can be a few ways to define a unit's size, namely: label (titled as a Troop or Regiment, etc), points cost, and footprint. These possible definitions are muddied in turn both by non-linear unit costs (with larger units being cheaper per model), and by differently-sized unit types (normal 20mm or 25mm Infantry vs 40mm Large Infantry, for instance).

Take the Herd list from this thread. It uses a few Large Infantry Hordes to unlock a ton of troop choices. Is that list MSU? Largely it is. Even though it uses Horde-sized units, those units are still not that expensive (they are about 12% of the list's total points each). With regards to the footprint of the units, the 40mm hordes are actually smaller than a typical 25mm regiment-sized Infantry unit from that same list.

Or consider the Goblin list from this thread. It's got a Legion, and three Hordes. Is this an MSU list? Maybe? Again, it has units the carry the big labels, and the footprints are big, but if we consider that the Herd list above could be MSU, than an argument could be made here, as each of it's 20+ units cost a pittance. There is an amazing about of redundancy built in, to the point where half the army could be gone and the player could still play the game they want to play.  The list can play the attrition game very, very well....

EDIT:
Seek to win the game via combats, and win combats via swarming enemy units and overpowering them.

Credit goes to Swordmaster for this one. Swarming your opponent is how this army intends to win. This isn't a zerg rush (quick aside: google that term for fun), but a controlled concentration of force after maneuvering during the early turns of the game. 

That goblin list is formidable. It has a ton of drops, redundancy and resiliency, but it is not an MSU-style list, as it seeks to win the game by tarpitting its opponent and blasting them off the field with magic and war machines. It is a resilient gunline; not an MSU list. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just about every MSU thread I have participated in online has been derailed by hair splitting at some point ("the units are cheap, but big. We should title this MMU, or multiple medium unit style of play instead," or "a MSU unit shouldn't have more than 10 models," or "a MSU army needs deployments to count, etc, etc). Pinning down and defining what MSU is or is not is usually a waste of energy.

After rereading my old explanations of the style and working out the above... they're both on par with the amount of ambiguity contained. 

I think defining MSU is more a wishy-washy "spirit of the law" kind of thing, rather than a hard and fast "letter of the law" kind of thing. My goal here is not to pin down a definitive objective answer of what it is or what it is not. The common themes explored above are meant to give someone a loose "guide" for building a more MSU-oriented list, particularly if it is their first time trying the style, or they are trying it was an unusual army.

To recap the highlights, TL;DR style, typically a MSU-style army will typically:

-Run more, smaller unit sizes over fewer, larger options
-Avoid big point-sinks in list building
-Largely avoid Magic Items
-Win the game via combat; win the combats via swarming your opponent

I enjoy running all these tiny units, and hope to see more players experimenting with this style of play, however they define MSU.

Thanks for indulging in a longer post (and making it to the end). Until next time...

10 comments:

  1. Hello!

    I am very glad you continue with MSU topic. I hope it is going to be an interesting one for other KoW players too, no matter if they would play with armies that follow similar approach or not.

    It was a nice reminder of older days when the concept was being developed under different set of rules. And I must say it is an interesting journey because it did start as a top-down approach. There was a general idea, it was then specified what the MSU force should have and every player willing to test it had to work out the details for himself.

    With KoW it was different also because the armies were already there but they needed to adapt to a new game. And I agree we are more at the stage where we would apply bottom-up system.

    Personally, I think I was lucky that my army and existing models collection didn't require much work in transition to KoW. And while I was learning the rules and intricacies of different game mechanics I also started clarifying the principles of the playing style.

    If I were to define the style I would say it is the one that relies on outmaneuvering the enemy and that uses swarming to overwhelm even bigger/stronger enemy, preferably on the charge.

    While the principles generally are related to two areas (and that it is probably the case of other armies and styles anyway):

    1. Army list building.
    2. Army tactics.

    What I find fundamental about the army list building is that it is based on regiments and troops. Regiments, because this is the smallest size that unlocks other elements and troops because the style of playing is about using mainly the units.

    That means that I don't think there is place for horde units in such army. Of course it can be different for other armies but personally, I find the foot print of any horde (even the highly maneuverable fliers) a bit too big. It also seems to me that hordes are made for more direct and brutal approach to win the fights. While successful it simply not the way I want to fight the battles.

    The other elements included in the army list, such as heroes, war engines, monsters and magic artifacts, are very important but are there as support. They add something that units may not. They also add extra flavor to the army of course. :)

    As a consequence, I have limited numbers of the artifacts. Partially, because the same artifact seems to be a better investment on horde type of units and partially because I'd rather have one extra unit than 2-3 more shiny toys.

    What I do want to have are elements that aid the army in the following areas:
    - enemy defense modification - Thunderous Charge, Crushing Strength and Piercing are all important to help to make these multiple charges to be successful during the initial attack. Anything I can add to have it is worthy consideration.
    - maneuverability - sheer speed is good but anything that can help my army to keep moving is great. Nimble, pathfinder, headstrong (to shake off wavering effect) skills are all very important for the second area to which principles of the style are related, i.e. tactics.

    I mentioned that it is all about swarming approach and being able to engineer these multiple charges. Because of that smaller regiments and troops are more valuable to me as they can maneuver more efficiently and cannot be blocked as easily as hordes.

    If the units can maneuver easier thanks to nimble, pathfinder etc. then it is definitely a huge asset I would like to have. And when the units are in the positions and attack can be commenced in the coordinated way it is also important to make it all count. Hence the need for enemy defense modifiers.

    I think the above mentioned principles define the style well. Of course I haven't played enough games yet even to meet all the other armies at least once. But I think the future games will support this approach and allow me to learn more about tactics and simply how to use the army more efficiently.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for chiming in Swordmaster!

      I would be interested to see the old top-down discussion if you have the thread bookmarked somewhere. I read The Village Idiot's 7th Edition Empire threads (on the Empire forum), and SmithF's stuff (on warhammer.org.uk), but that's about as far back I've gone. It would be interesting to try and track the development of the style over time.

      I think your point on outmaneuvering and "swarming" being a defining factor in MSU is something I overlooked when writing the post. Swarming is why that goblin list isn't MSU, as it doesn't actually want to get into melee combat. That list is just a very, very resilient gunline with a ton of drops due to the high number of characters and war machines; not an MSU list. I was trying and failing to figure out a good argument against it, but I think swarming is the key.

      I think that's a big enough ommission that I'll edit the post to include this. Thanks!

      I would agree that for you and me, hordes are basically out of the question if our armiers are trying to play in an MSU style. However, I do think some armies can make good use of them and still be really MSU-focused, like that Herd army in the post.

      Thank you very much for your input!

      Delete
  2. Hi TastyBagel!

    Well, if you don't mind me to do a bit of auto promotion I wrote quite lengthy article long time ago here (warning! it is long):

    http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=94823&start=300#p1250211

    There was some nice discussion after-wards.

    I updated the article thanks to the feedback and posted it on ulthuan forum:

    http://45.40.135.47/~ulthuan/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=40285&sid=7705f4b3335ff750fcd1ecfded2d79ac

    And you can still find it on my blog. Ok, now back to your topic!

    First of all I just think there are no strict rules about MSU approach. Even more so with KoW where each army has its own take on that style, as we have already discussed.

    That means that it is really up to a player what set of "rules" she/he wants to follow in order to achieve the goal. So there is absolutely no restriction in taking the horde formations if you think they add to the overall value of the army. Or what should be the percentage of each type of unit or character or war engine in the army.

    One can even argue that shooting orientated force also may follow the principles of MSU with many deployment drops and no big point sinks.

    For me MSU, as I said, is about "swarming" and while I use combined arms approach it is all in order to make melee even more decisive.

    Last but not least, I am always happy to discuss such topics and I am happy to be able to add something despite very few games I have played so far!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By all means, please, post away! I welcome your thoughts. And you may have very few games under your belt... but you've got more than me! Please don't hesitate to speak up.

    While every army will need to figure out what works for it, I do think that the swarming/melee theme is a valid one to emphasize for this though, which is why I have ammended the original post. Thanks again for mentioning it.

    The game itself has a pretty melee tilt (I swear I read a rules committee/Mantic post to that effect: KoW is their melee game/Deadzone is shooty game... but alas, I cannot find it). Someone may develop a shooty-heavy MSU army down the road, but I think the general rule will be that MSU armies will be winning games by maneuverability and melee combat. Keeping the close combat phase and swarming in mind would be a good idea for anyone experimenting with a new MSU-style list I think.

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would also like to thank you for continuing with the discussion about the topic of MSU because it really helps me to clarify my own thoughts on that matter. I hope that with some more experience and games I will be able to structure them in a similar way as I did it a few years ago with Warhammer version.

      I am not surprised that Mantic might want to make KoW more melee orientated and Deadzone shooting focused. I don't know how their Sci-Fi system works but in principle it makes sense to me.

      I think through our discussion we already agreed on a few important fundamentals of MSU approach in KoW settings, at least on the level of army list building.

      The interesting part is now how to achieve the success with such army in the game. The start is with the deployment that, in my opinion, is affected by 3 main components:

      1. Scenario.
      2. Terrain.
      3, Enemy.

      The order I mentioned them does not reflect the importance of each one of them. In fact, I would not be too much concerned what is more relevant because from my perspective it depends on the particular battle.

      The most important is to correctly assess each of them and their combined impact so that you can properly adapt with general battle plan, objectives to achieve and the deployment that is the starting point (and very important!).

      Next important element is how you maneuver with your army so that your units can be at the right time in the right place to execute the plan for victory.

      Again, how you move depends on the terrain and the scenario and the enemy but also on the individual capabilities of each and all elements of your army.

      And this is the part where personally, I have yet a lot to learn about, simply because I haven't even played against all the armies from the rulebook/uncharted empires. But also because in the frame of a single army list you can create significantly different armies. Add to that mix Allies as well as scenarios and the options are limitless.

      But it also makes me very excited about the future games and following discussions!

      Cheers!

      Delete
    2. For sure! This more "academic" stuff of digging through lists and finding themes is, again, low hanging fruit that I'm trying to explore in lieu of actually playing games (did get one in the other day, but it was a 9th Ed game...). The truly interesting part, as you say, is how to achieve success with an army such as this!

      It will probably be a while before I speak my thoughts on things like deployment and all these detailed tactics.. (I should probably, you know, win a game first!) but I too am very excited for the future with Kings of War. See you around, Swordie! I'm looking forward to future discussions.

      Delete
    3. I would encourage you to start doing so without the condition "I need to win a game to discuss the topic"! :)

      Personally, that is how I also learn how to play better. What you do is that you formulate that general plan about how to deploy and how to use the terrain to your advantage, maybe even write it down for the introduction to the battle report. :)

      Then you play the game and see if you could implement the plan and how did it work. Or why it didn't so that you could correct it for the next time.

      I think it is even more useful when you don't play as often as you would like to.

      Cheers!

      Delete
    4. I... expressed myself poorly last night.

      It will be a while before I have any kind of post like the one above, covering any of these more detailed and tactical topics (like deployment or how to maneuver my forces). I just don't feel I have the experience with the game to speak meaningfully about them yet, and these long posts just come off as too pontificating when I re-read them... and inexperience and pontificating seems like a bad mix.

      That said, I'm not going to keep my mouth shut about this stuff; I'll just be finding other avenues to discuss it other than long posts. Things like threads in the forum or a few paragraphs in my battle reports. In every game I play, I have some goal in my head; usually something I want to test or explore. In future games/reports, I have every intention of sharing more of my thoughts and plans up front, and then presenting the game. I've been experimenting a bit with cameras and blog formatting, so hopefully the next report will be a step up in quality, and start exploring more of these more detailed aspects of this wonderful game.

      Delete
    5. I didn't feel that your are being arrogant with your posts. Quite the contrary, you also clearly stated you are exploring the possibility of playing with certain style and trying to define it for KoW.

      But I see you were already busy with updating the blog with yet another article so I better read it and see if I can contribute to the discussion. :)

      Delete
    6. Thanks for the perspective. Maybe I'm being a little hyper-critical of myself these days.

      Anyways, yes, the blog presses on! Probably will have some good hobby or at least WIP stuffs up this weekend as well.

      Delete