Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Hobby Update: Bob Ridolfi's Undead Adventuring Warband

I've been a fan of Reaper Miniatures for a long long time. Their offerings are amazing and sprawling and usually very easy on the wallet. Back when I regularly visited my FLGS for Warhammer Fantasy, I'd often pick up a half dozen minis or more at a time on a whim, as these were perfect for my D&D campaigns.

Such is the case with these. Sometime in the past, I picked up these undead adventurers, and finally got around to painting them up over the summer. Originally there were to be used for D&D, as I thought an opposing undead party would be a neat thing to overcome. That didn't come to pass. Last year I set them aside to eventually hobby up while I was exploring Fistful of Lead by Wiley Games. Their varied look, gear.. well, their varied everything would make them ideal for that kind of game where you are pushing around a select few, very individualistic models. But that also didn't happen. So these were hobbied up this year, mostly just for fun.


Undead are always fun to hobby on.

The central fighter-guy is multi-piece metal, the halfling is one-piece of metal and the rest are the bendy, softer Reaper mono-pose plastic, so no conversion work was done at all for this warband. I am quite cool with that. These had a nice variety of flesh, bones and scraps of armor and cloth and were fun to do. The dwarf having beard remnants and the elf having hair remnants were both nice touches on their respective miniatures. Kudos to the sculptor, Bob Ridolfi, who, as I went back to cite... turns out he sculpted all of these. Very cool.

These were done for fun; no real adventurous hobby testing performed. I am, however, getting away from my old more orangey wood (Deathclaw Brown), and into more natural-looking browns and tans. You can see some of that here with the axe handles and bow. These tones look much nicer, and I'll likely make them the standard going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment