Monday, August 7, 2017

Hobby Update: Varangur Horse Raiders & Ogre Allies

After my last post, the smart thing to do would have been to work on stuff I literally already had on my hobby table. By and large ...that is not what I did, though the KoM Knights have gotten some more paint. 

So what did I work on? Transitioning some old Warriors of Chaos models. I was reorganizing some storage and figured they'd be quick enough to convert. I was mostly right. I still have some infantry to finish up, but the Horse Raiders and Ogres are finished! Aside from painting the horses blue, these models were pretty much just rebased, so I won't post any "before" pics, just the final.




Horse Raiders
I never did actually buy a box of Marauder Horsemen back in the day. The unit was jumbled together from bitz purchases over time. I started gluing these from right-to-left... and quickly ran out of space for all five of my models, so I have a spare musician now. Oops. I may have some other bitz around though too. If I can squeeze out another unit of these down the road, I will.

They didn't see a lot of use in Warhammer for me, but I could see the appeal in Kings of War, since I don't need to point-buy to make them versatile. Mounted Scouts and Mounted Sergeants are two of my favorite units for Kingdoms of Men, and these Horse Raiders fulfill a similar medium-cavalry role with the bonus of having a ranged attack, even if the range is limited. If I can get this unit into a flank, I should have plenty of options to harry the advance of opposing units or flank or multi-charge with them. The unit seems pretty versatile, but not prohibitively expensive.

Ogre Berserkers
I loved my Chaos Ogres in Warhammer. The only "gear" they got was the Mark of Slaanesh, but they were the workhorses of my Chaos Army. They were cheap; they were speedy; and they hit decently hard. In Kings of War, their uses might be a little circumscribed (no cannonballs to catch; no charges to bait nor to flee), but I still think there's plenty to work with, and I think they'll do well when they hit the table.

By my count, the Raiders put me a little over 2000 points of pure Varangur (no marks or upgrades or items), and the Berserkers add another 450 points of allies. This evil army is coming along nicely!

2 comments:

  1. The units look really good! I like the masks for Ogres and the Horse Riders are ace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Swordmaster! I was proud of the masks back in the day. (Still am I suppose.) Nice and easy conversion with the Marauder Champion pauldron bit. Cheers

      Delete