Thursday, June 9, 2016

Hobby Update: Roman Spear Phalanx

As you can see from a quick glance at the blog posting history, the frequency of my posts have slowed down. The bane of the hobbyist, Real Life, has demanded much of my attention lately. While my time at the hobby table has shrunk, I have been making some progress. My test unit of Spear Phalanx is done at least!

Ready for action!
As mentioned in previous posts… I wish there was a better assortment (more even split) of stabby things in the kits, but overall, they are nice models. I set out to test a few hobby things with the unit, and determined that:
·         It’s easier to attach the heads, prime and paint, than do the heads separately.
·         “Spears” should be painted and then glued though, as the hafts are harder to paint around. Not impossible to paint around… but I don’t want to make things harder on myself here.
·         Multibasing these models is totally feasible, especially if I don’t add spears until later.

There are a few things I may touch-up later, but again, I consider the unit done and ready for the table.

Pic from the banner.. or Regimental Selfie Stick.
Overall, the unit was pretty easy to paint up, and I really like the look of the shields. The models are nicely uniform, and there are distinct areas of color, like the armor and tunic, with only a few spots like the scabbards for swords and daggers that really necessitated extra focus. The ease at which I was able to hobby on these was encouraging, as there are (many) more Romans on the way! I’ll have more WIP pics up in a week or so highlight progress on all the various Roman units I have in the pipeline.

No comments:

Post a Comment