Sunday, March 13, 2016

Hobby Update: An Obnoxious Amount of Greatsword Foot Guards!

Zeno’s Greatsword Foot Guard have received the majority of my hobby attention for... a few weeks now.The odd mini was worked on here and there, but overall.. every time I sat down to hobby, I was grinding away on something related to these guys.

Group pic! I hope no one blinked.




Originally, I wasn't expecting to spend this much time transitioning them over. They were actually already painted up decently, but as I started working on them, I decided I wanted to do a little more for them.


Two troops. Zeno the Elder leads the one on the left; some guy with a horn leads the one on the right.

Basically, fashion did me in. The uniforms for Pole Arms and other average joes were done up in quarter colors. When I painted these guys up originally though, they had these cool slashed sleeves, so I did some nice big bands of alternating color.

Two horn players lead these troops.
However... I just painted their pants straight purple, even though the cloth also had slashes. I was apparently feeling lazy back in the day. So, I figured I'd try the same alternating broad stripes on the pants too. That took a surprisingly amount of time.

Zeno the younger leads the troop on the right. Him lacking the stripe effect is slightly jarring... but I doubt my opponent would care or notice, or that I'll even ever run all 6 troops. Plus, if I roll them into larger units, he can be replaced by a bannerman easily.
And yes, I know I did the slashes “wrong.” I'm alternating stripe colors and using a black wash in the crevices of the model. Usually, these models are painted up with one color in the crevice, and one color for the cloth stripes (if your army has two major colors). I didn't want to fuddle (and stress) too much on the details on these models, so I fudged and did it my way. They're painted to a tabletop standard, and multi based in my odd fashion, so I'm calling them done. Wohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment