Monday, January 18, 2016

Pre-Gamin'

The details are hazy, but I still have a game lined up for tonight. The reason for the ambiguity is we're actually trying for a group game (team game) now.

I asked two friends if they'd be willing to try out Kings of War, and surprisingly, both said yes. A fourth player may or may not join in the fun... so I've prepared two 1k Kingdoms of Men lists. It will either be a 2v2 with only one of my lists, a 2v2 with both my lists in play, or a 2v1 with me playing both my lists against my friends. We'll see what actually transpires...

One personal restriction I had was that I'd only use stuff from the Free Rules for Kings of War. So, just basic units, no fancy items. That sadly means no Wizard with the Inspiring Talisman for me. None of my opponents have the book, and will be building their lists from the free rules... so this feels like a good restriction. I'm trying to showcase the game and test some stuff; not necessarily to win. ...Though with that said, I have only gotten a few games in on this system, and all of them have been (close) losses.. so if I do happen to win I'd be ok with it.

2000 Points of Kingdoms of Men. All packed up and ready for the drive to the FLGS.

List 1 is the simple list. It'll be loaned out to that possible 4th player, or run by me, or dropped, depending on how the night goes. I haven't figured out a good way to transcribe armies yet. If anyone has any suggestions, please, suggest away...

Regiment Knights 195
Troop Mounted Scouts w/ Pistols 100
Regiment Knights 195
Hero General, on Horse 120
Regiment Arquebusiers 135
Hero Wizard, Lightning Bolt 50
Regiment Crossbows 115
Hero Hero, on Pegasus 90

See? Simple. Two sturdy Knight Regiments, two shooty units, and a few characters to Inspire and support. I think it will make a solid "learner" list though as there are tactical concerns (run the knights together? On a flank? Up to be aggressive, or back a little to protect the shooters) and rules stuffs (it's got magic, an individual unit, a flyer...). The only thing it really lacks is showcasing different unit sizes.


List 2 is more my typical list, and has all the things I really want to test. It will see the table no matter that tomorrow.

Regiment Shield Wall 100
Troop Mounted Scouts w/ Carbines 115
Troop Foot Guard 2HW 95
Hero Army Standard Bearer 50
Regiment Pole Arms 100
Troop Mounted Scouts w/ Carbines 115
Troop Foot Guard 2HW 95
WarMachine Ballista 65
Regiment Pole Arms 100
Troop Mounted Scouts w/ Pistols 100
Hero Wizard, Lightning Bolt, Bane Chant 65
I like lists based around the idea of multiple small units (MSU); essentially, everything is expendable, and your units fight together to take down larger opponents. It's a very rewarding style of play, and usually gives my opponents a difficult time, as they generally don't have any obvious targets. I played Warriors of Chaos MSU the last few years for Warhammer... hopefully some of that thinking transitions well here.

The main thing I am interested in testing are the variations of the Mounted Scouts. I've run each of them before, and was sorta happy with them, though they ultimately ended up being expensive chaff (I've only played against Elves so far, and the 18" Carbines don't tend to get too much shooting in against Move 9" Elvish cavalry..). through some discussions online, I've decided not to try using them as flankers or harassers, and use each in more of a closer supporting role for my army. 
  • Scouts with Pistols will protect my War Machines and stationary missile troops (Crossbows and Arquebusiers). If a threat rolls up, they are quick enough to move to intercept, but won't be engaging in melee against it. This is important (in theory anyway), as it would let the war machines and stationary missile troops engage the threat too, hopefully wiping it out. I think their 18" Range is just too short to be an effective harasser unit in most situations. 
  • Scouts with Carbines will advance with and support my infantry, something that stationary missile troops can't do (being move or shoot units). Hopefully I can create a "damned if I do; damned if I don't" situation for my opponents. If they choose to engage my line, they'll probably get the scouts, but then be counter-charged by my infantry. If they fall back, my entire line can pursue and pressure, with the carbines poking, and the infantry constantly threatening to counter any attack my opponent tries to make.
So... those are the lists and the things I'm looking to test. We'll see how this all goes. A battle report, or at least a summary with a few pics should be up later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment