Saturday, August 24, 2019

Hobby Update: KoM Berserkers and Foot Guard

In addition to the various giants (Varangur & KoM), the spring of 2019 also saw me hobby up some more regiments for the Kingdoms of Men.

I've already fessed up to my misreading regarding the Berserkers, so over the spring I've painted up another regiment's worth of minis from the box of Dalcian Flaxmen. I have another regiment waiting around. I think those final minis are even primed already.

Rambunctious! Believe it or not, I spelled that right first try.
As I've conceded, they are way better-performing units than I thought (Hitting on 3's makes a big difference!), but are a tad too rowdy-lookin' for the more disciplined aesthetic I was looking for with my infantry. They'll be nice to have around though.



More likely to see the field more often are the other unit I did up: some smashy Foot Guard. Nothing against the Beserkers, but these definitely go better with my disciplined theme!

In my other Berserker post, I explained my general thinking on the army's "elite" infantry (Berserkers, Heavy Pike, and Foot Guard), and my thinking hasn't much changed since then. The Foot Guard are the most versatile (middle of the road could be another word) of the three elite units, and I think the smashy loadout exemplifies this "jack of all trades, master of none" role. They'll be more likely to show up in lists.

Hobbying-wise, unfortunately, both were based with (apparently) a different, finer Vallejo paste. I didn't realize until they were all pasted up. I'll likely add coarser paste, or more tufts or grass down the line to camouflage this down the line. On the table it's not nearly as noticeable, but it still would be. A little project for later.

...And this brings the essentially blog current with Kings of War minis, only four months or so late!

1 comment: