Monday, March 18, 2019

Hobby Update: KoM Colossal Giants

Over the weekend I was doubly blessed with nice weather and some time to paint! First up was some legendary Undead, but here now are a pair of Colossal Giants for the Regnum!


Lighting wasn't great, but you get the idea. They are big!
Clash of Kings 2019 gave the KoM access to Giants and Colossal Giants, both potent monster units. Ultimately I decided to just run both as the Colossal version. I have enough chaff and little anvils; these huge models were purchased to roll dice and kill stuff, so I figured I might as well go big.

The models are from Mini-Art, a company specializing in larger, more historic themed minis. They have a variety of similar models, from hoplites to foot knights to swashbucklers, so if you have a Kingdoms of Men army and you want a giant, hey check their ranges out.

Heads-up though, finding them may be an issue for you. I tried three different retailers. I only wanted one giant, but ended up buying from two different online retailers, as one came back after we had cancelled the order saying he found it, and wondering if I was still interested. I decided two was better than one. Also fyi prices online varied wildly, from around $15 to $60 and over. Shop around yo! I ended up at around $15 and $25 for my two purchases.


Green stuff was needed at basically every join.
An additional heads up... the quality was a bit lacking from what I've come to expect at the 28mm war gaming range. Going bigger, the plastic was rather brittle; I snapped the front bit of the helmet and one of the shoulder segments just clipping it off the sprue.

Lastly, the fits were not great. A fair bit of green stuff was needed to try and blend the pieces together, as shown here. Nothing at all fit quite right, so assembly took some green stuff at just about ever join in order to smooth it out. I'd recommend building this in parts: torso/leg; head; arms, and painting them prior to gluing those parts together. Also, I'd recommend adding the shoulder segments after painting. They don't fit well at all, but it was still preferable to trying to paint around them I think.

The good news was painting was easy! The model is big, and even the fiddly detail (straps, etc) was easy to get to and address. Both were painted up over a few hours, so it wasn't bad hobbying once it was assembled.

Game-wise, these new giants are both pretty tough. I like that they both have Strider, and like that a lot of big things received that special rule in the new Clash of Kings update.

The giants have the same Speed, Melee and Defense. While the normal giant is pretty nice, and would likely work well enough with my army (cheaper, likely a few wounds each combat plus Brutal), I decided to go with the Colossal option.

Again, I wanted these giants to be more front and center killing machines. The additional attacks seem worth the cost, and the Vicious against infantry also seems useful, since in my little meta (excluding my armies, I have friends that play Undead, Rats, and more classic Elves), folks still run some infantry in each game. No flying circuses around here...

I still need to finish up the shrubbery on the base, but these are ready to hit the table. My girlfriend is reading the rulebook (!) so we'll likely have another game relatively soon. Will hopefully be taking at least one of these for a spin!

No comments:

Post a Comment