Thursday, June 14, 2018

Hobby WIP: Second Beast

Those that have followed my handful of actual games might recognize this as my ballista-carrying Beast of War, and you would be wrong, but close. This is my second Beast of War!

Still needs work, but I like the expression/pose of the gunner.
Same models, same howdah build, same paint scheme... but a slightly different orientation so that it hopefully doesn't look like a cookie cutter copy of the first Beast when they are on the field together.

I had been planning this addition for a while... I probably picked up the second ankylosaurus model about a year ago or so? It just took a really long time to reach fruition, as I am lazy, and the howdah required a few intense hours of work that I only recently got around to doing. Two massive logs is still probably not the best way to secure a howdah... but I did it the first time, and felt I should do the same with the second model.

So, why a second Beast?

Well, my KoM army is really infantry-heavy, and in the handful of games I've been able to play, I've been deploying a bit back in the hopes that I can buy some time to maneuver around against anything unexpected, and maybe score a few early wounds with some Ballista shooting.

My singular Beast has fit in quite nicely with that plan of attack. The Light Ballista upgrade is a steal too; those shots add way more versatility than you'd think! I struggle a bit in melee though, as my Roman models aren't running things with CS (I have some some unit conversions in mind though). When the time comes for melee, the Beast is still a big bad monster, with a good stat line all around. Supported by some durable regiments, they should be able to grind out enemy units. I need to theory craft some lists, but I think I should be able to fit both Beasts in for a 2000 point game.

A few touchups are still needed here, and I'd like to redo the bit/chain with a thin jewelry chain or something for both models too, but I'd field both models without being embarrassed at their progress. More to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment