Thursday, June 28, 2018

Hobby Update: Ostermark League! (League of Rhordia)

I definitely hobbied on my League in the wrong order! Rather than rebase some Empire models and then add a few units of halflings, I went out, bought and then hobbied up 2000 points of halflings, and now, 6-7 months later, am rebasing some old Empire dudes as a new, 2nd League of Rhordia army. Oops.

The goals here were to work with some old models, avoid buying new plastic, and end up with an Old World styled army. I think I did well! Most of these models were repainted in the early days of the blog, so most of the recent work here was just rebasing everything, because at the start of the blog, I wasn't sold on multibasing. (I am now.)


Honor Guard
The models fit really weird with just three as a regiment. They are too long and not really wide enough to really fill out the unit nicely. So, I opted for Hordes of 4.


Onward!
When these first hit the table in my Warhammer days, they were still in process. In their first game they charged an enemy block of Saraus Warriors; I rolled really well, and every attack (except for one dumb knight) hit, and every hit wounded, and every save was obligingly failed. The enemy unit was obliterated, and they underperformed ever since. To this day I have no idea how much damage they would "typically" do. My opponent was gracious enough to gift me some Lizardman bits in commemoration of the event, and they made their way into the finished unit.

House Guard, City Militia and Crossbows
All my remaining Greatswords ended up here in this army, as did all my Halberdiers and Crossbowmen. These are pretty typical units, all found in the Kingdoms of Men army as well.


I really like how these units turned out. The center unit are the Fancy Hats, a regiment of halberdiers with feathered caps that have fought the good fight on my behalf for quite some time.
The City Militia (Halberdiers) are cheap units with Crushing Strength, giving up defense in order to hit just a little harder. Their main advantage is their low cost. You can field a lot of these units for cheap, and they are viable at any size. I've yet to use hordes, but if you need unlocks...  that's one easy way to get them. I've used some troops, and when given an enemy flank, you'll be surprised with their damage output. I think my preferred size would probably be a regiment though. The higher Nerve definitely helps; they don't need any unlocks, and 100 pts for a unit is still pretty cheap.

The House Guard is the elite infantry, again giving up defense for some Crushing Strength. A good Melee stat plus Crushing Strength makes for great troops that are surprisingly resilient. They are a little expensive for an infantry troop, but when paired with a good anvil, they should work quite well.


Braves, House Guard, and some screening Crossbows.
The Crossbows should be pretty self-evident. They shoot stuff! The goal with the three troops here would be to sprinkle them around the battlefield, and have them contribute as able. Reload really hurts them too, as you really need to plan ahead with their shooting, and then even in an ideal environment, their shooting isn't great. I wouldn't expect too much from them, but they may surprise you from time to time.

Eccentric Halfling Braves
I couldn't figure out where I would ever run this little unit, so I decided to rebase them as some chaffy Braves for this army.

The models are from Eccentric Miniatures, and I would still recommend these to anyone looking to buff their army numbers on the cheap. At $1/mini, these aren't high quality minis.. but will definitely get the job done. They are nearly the same size as the WHFB minis, but lack the detail and dynamic posing.

Iron Beast and Heroes
All of these are old Empire dudes, and did get some touchups, though nothing too drastic.

I have a few options for inspiring, a wizard on foot (as most of the army is also on foot), and a monster of sorts to help out and anchor the line.


I wish the Iron Beast had a cannon option.. I may need to add some cotton ball flames in the future...
All this gets me up past 2000 points, which isn't bad. The army could use some additional cavalry (human knights, screening halfling knights, or harassing halfling rangers), but is fine for now.

I'm moving (locally) in about a month, so I'm trying to whittle down my hobby table. I've hobbied up a lot in 2018 already (about 6000 points worth of things, excluding this rebased League), and am down to just two Legions of Zombies as active projects. Those were painted up last September (or thereabouts), and just need to be based up, finally. Hopefully those will be up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment