Saturday, May 12, 2018

Hobby Update: Herd

Last year I started hobbing on the Herd. The goal was to make a speedy, swarming army, and I ended up hobbying up a lot of small troop-level units. I ended up with a little over 1000 points painted up, but could only really run around 750 points due to a lack of unlocks. I should be set for unlocks for the foreseeable future!

Lycans
I recently finished up three hordes and one regiment of Lycans, which is both a lot of points, and a lot of unlocks. I can run all sorts of things now!


Tons and tons of Lycans.

The models are various Confrontation Wolfen (Trackers and Hunters). I picked them up for about $5 a box. They are a little more expensive now, but still a great deal. I chose to repaint these, but the figures come painted, if you are feeling particularly unambitious.

The figures themselves are actually articulated along the waist, and occasionally an arm too. While the same figure is used over and over, a swivel here and there helps break up the monotony, and these turned out pretty good.

These are terrifying units to me. Speed 9, with Nimble and Pathfinder means that they should be able to swiftly get to places normal units can't, and they can take advantage of all sorts of terrain. Crushing Strength 1 isn't great, but better than Thunderous Charge, as they'll be equally deadly in a grind as on the charge.

Brutox & Centaur Chieftain
I had some spare ogre pieces, and decided to convert a Dragon Ogre Shaggoth back in the day. I've repainted the skin and rebased it, and now I've got a pretty deadly Herd monster ready for the field!


The Brutox is convincingly tall for a monster.
The Chieftain is just another Inspiring hero to help the Herd stick around. This guy can dish out a little damage too, and with the small base frontage, should be able to get some cheeky charges in. All around, I think the Chieftain here is my best hero option for the Herd.

And just like that the Herd is up and over 2000 points. Monstrous things really add up quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment