Monday, August 21, 2017

Hobby Update: KoM Knight Troops!

One of my goals with the Regnum was to eventually phase out my old Games Workshop models. They worked well to test out Kings of War, but honestly I don't really like most of the range. A new game deserved a new army, and I've really dug the Roman/Byzantine feel I've been working towards over the last year.

One unit that was causing me trouble in my search for replacements were knights. Some of you may know... the Republican Romans weren't big on cavalry. They Byzantines (Eastern Romans) relied on them more... but I just couldn't find anything suitable to make the cataphracts I wanted.

My search led me to pick up a 1/72 scale box of HaT Cataphracts up online, but the gamble did not pay off. In the end they were not big enough to convincingly mix with my existing models, and the search continued.

Eventually, I found these Norman Knight models, from Conquest Games. The riders would work perfectly, having a lot of armor, but not plate armor. While the horses could use more armor, both from a historical perspective and to further differentiate the Knights from my Mounted Sergeants... I can work with them. The lances and full-body armor should hopefully be enough to distinguish them on the battlefield for my opponent. (Though I do want to try and model one regiment up as a group of AOE2 Cataphracts, with more horse armor ... eventually.)


Charge!
These should be versatile enough to last me a while. The troops can be run-as is for smaller games, or combined into two regiments as I see fit. I really like how the grassy tufts turned out with my force of halflings, so I will probably add some to the Regnum down the line (need to go buy more). Barring that addition to the basing, these are ready to hit the table!


Also ready, well, ready again, are my Mounted Scouts and Mounted Sergeants.

When I hobbied them up originally, they got leader models, and the unit was spread across three bases, necessitating a movement tray. With several thousand points of other units now under my belt, I decided that I really do like having units multi-based, and that the Ironheart Artisan bases were really doing it for me. I don't really need more projects, but I started updating the Regnum.


....aaaand, update successful!

Really, I only have these and the four Spear Phalanx regiments to rebase, so it's not that daunting of a project. These guys are already done! The Spear Phalanx could be a little harder though, so I'll fit them in in between other projects. 

The cavalry seemed like it would be easier to work, so they got worked on first. I figured the horses' ankles were way too weak to try and separate the old model from the old square bases, so I just hacked away at the old square base; glued it down to the MDF base, and then pasted around. The paste set overnight, and was painted the following day. There are a couple of harder, noticeable edges, but that will be ok; they can be camouflaged later with grass tufts, or a little more paste or pebbles later.

So, these guys are ready for the table (again)... which is fantastic, as I did actually get a game in tonight. Battle Report 12 should be up later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment