Sunday, May 21, 2017

Hobby Update: Varangur Mounted Sons

Huzzah! All the Mounted Sons are done!

The whole, terrifying gang, together at last.
I have been hobbying on these guys for a few months now, so it's really good to be able to call them done. I wanted the end result to look pretty similar across all the units, so almost all of the painting was done batch style... finishing each step on every model before moving on to the next one. I think they turned out nice, but man, working on 30 models at once has been a pretty long haul.

See? Decent iconography. All gauntlety and stuff.
I ended up hitting a few snags with these along the way too. I was short a torso somehow, which was fixed via green stuff putty. I also ended up being short a few pauldrons. That was fixed by picking up a pack of these a few weeks ago... which, unfortunately, you can't really see from the pictures.

The pack had more pauldrons than I needed, but I'd rather use all those up and have generic knight ones for other projects.. So I ended up using the pads as kind of "accent armor" replacing a pauldron here throughout the unit instead of doubling up on one model. Sorry for not snapping any pics of it. I'm too lazy to go back.

The shoulder pads actually fit pretty well on the knights. Additionally, they solved a little problem for me, as I didn't know what to put on the banners. The armored fist made for a pretty good army icon, which was dutifully appropriated and incorporated into the banners to further visually unify the units, as you can see from above.

These cavalry units are over 1000 points themselves, so the Varangur are coming along nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment