Friday, September 9, 2016

And the Herd comes stampeding in...

It's uh... been a while since I posted. With a lack of games, both my hobby attention, and general nerdy attention has been focused elsewhere (namely Dungeons and Dragons, because... nerd.) I'll try to swing it back to Kings of War for a little bit.


In late 2014, I started branching out with some of my Warhammer purchases. I had an eye to expand my chaos collection with some Beastmen and Daemons and...... well, long story short, those plans really never came to fruition. 

More recently, hobbying on my Kingdoms of Men stuff has stalled out. Without games... it's hard to get motivated to paint up so many (mostly) identical Romans. I have been lured away by one-off paint jobs for liches, beholders and imps...

I have asked around, and there is still some local interest in KoW (stymied by everyone being adults with adult priorities, adult problems and adult schedules). Even with expressed interest, there is a little push-back to having to learn a whole new wargame. My circle of nerds all learned Warhammer around the same time, and it was a struggle getting through all those rules. I'm talking like almost a year before we finished a game of Warhammer Fantasy. 

On the flip-side, here in Mantica, even with my tiny sample size, I have yet to have a KoW game "time out". Every game has been short (under 2 hours) and decisive. 

In the hope of generating some interest in the upcoming months, I've decided that I'm going to break into some of my old stockpiled plastic and build a small Herd army. I think that me having two unique armies will make demoing games and introducing players to KoW easier. No need for the newbie to figure out their own list or anything, simply have them answer something like "do you want humans or beasts?" and away we go, learning the basics.

So my goal is to build up a 1000 point “starter” list, and pair it with a complimentary Kingdoms of Men list in order for me to host easy demos. I should easily have enough Herd-like models to pull off 1000 points. I just need to figure out what units I want to run…

The Herd’s special rule is Pathfinder. A lot of units have Thunderous Charge as well… those abilities pair nicely. Additionally, I think they pair well with the general concepts of MSU-style play. While lacking Nerve, the units are generally cheap, maneuverable, and hit hard. That's a recipe for success for this playstyle. I think my Herd contingent will be overall speedier and more aggressive than my Kingdoms of Men lists. They aren’t too durable though, so I expect battles to be pretty bloody. Should be fun!


Bitz separated for my convenience. Now to mix, match, and augment with green stuff for the optimal results....

I’ve spent about a week working on this project so far. Models have been freed from the sprues and are ready for assembly; MDF bases have shipped (for a real attempt at multibasing!) and should arrive in a few days; and a tundra-themed basing and painting scheme is mostly worked out in my head, and ready to test once things have been assembled and primed.

I will post more as progress as it is made. Expect more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment