Saturday, March 26, 2016

Hobby Update: Crossbowmen

March has been very busy for me... it’s been a lot of fun, but also incredibly hectic. And as a result, it’s been a little light on anything related to hobbying.

I was trying to get into a grove of alternating between games and hobby progress... but games will also be in short supply for the next two weeks at least. I had one lined up this past week that fell through, and the next two weeks have other things planned on my usual war gaming day. While I really want to get out on the table and roll some dice, such a reprieve may actually be good for my army.

The list has been fun to play and learn from, but there are definitely some shortcomings with it in its current form. I’m still trying to adjust my old MSU strategies to KoW effectively. I’ve got some ideas on how to improve my army… but the changes I want to make will necessitate adding some new plastic to the army… which I have been reluctant to dive into with all this old Empire stuff still taking up space in my hobby nook..

That said, all this hobby stuff is obviously self-imposed. Any tension I feel is entirely self-created. So, since I like my wants to guide my hobbying, I’m caving.


I’ve decided that I’m going to shelve my Pike Block Regiment for the time being. The bodies are actually almost entirely done already, and have been so basically since I finished the first regiment. The problem was that I didn’t have enough pikes to go around, and haven’t settled on how to convert the last of them into Pikemen. Since there is no rush to get this unit done in any way whatsoever… they’ll just languish for a bit.

I have however, finished those three Troops of Crossbowmen. Huzzah!

All three Troops. Still with my odd basing scheme. A few models that tripped the "crossbow" filter on Reaper Mini's site were drafted as unit leaders.
The units themselves are… a little underwhelming, I guess? As I showed earlier, Hordes are the best buys for damage, and Arquebusiers actually look like the best investments points-wise for us, with Crossbowmen only really having a points-effective niche against Defense 3 targets. So… while they will probably make their way into a few games… I don’t know how often they’ll actually see the table. But hey, they’re done, and I even snapped some quick pics.

Another shot, since they were blurrier than usual in the group pic.
So, with these done, and that Pikemen languishing for now, what’s left between me and that new plastic I’m itching to get to? Just a Troop and a Regiment of Pole-Arms? And the Regiment just needs some touchups? Alright, stand back. I got this.

No comments:

Post a Comment