Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Hobby Update: Scouts with Carbines

I've been fighting a cold for a week now, so I haven't been as active with regards to anything lately. Spastic coughing isn't great for one's brushwork, so the hobby side of things has been weak too.

I'm still plodding away at converting over my old Empire stuff, and have a bunch of half-done units now, including:


  • 2 regiments of Knights
  • 1 Regiment of Pole Arms
  • 3 Troops of Pole Arms
  • 2 Troops of Scouts with Pistols
  • An unreasonable amount of Greatswords Foot Guard with two-handed weapons
  • And... other stuff. Still. As if the list wasn't long enough.

To add insult to it all, I have three partially done units that are just short a few bodies each: a Troop of Pole Arms,a regiment of Shield Wall and another regiment of converted Pikemen. I think I will cave and buy one final box of the loathsome State Troopers (I hate painting them, even to my underachieving standard)... as it would be nice to finish off those three units instead of cannibalizing them. So uh... keep checking back.. I have lots to get through still... without even counting the new stuff I ordered (Romans and other goodies coming once I finish this stuff off). 

The only thing I have managed to finish off recently are my two troops of Scouts with Carbines, who will be working in tandem with my infantry for the next few games. I have a game lined up for next Monday against some despicable haughty elves.. we'll see how that goes.

Anyways, it's a hobby update, so here are some pics! I painted these up pretty late in my Empire career.
One from the front.
One from the back.
Pretty mundane stuff. Very limited colors; just boring sand for basing; no washes... basically nothing even approaching fancy. I think I finished most of the work for both units over an evening at one of our old group paint sessions. Quick and easy.  
New and improved I guess? The carbines are cleaner at least...
... and the bases are rockier?
Ooo. There's something! The cloaks are all washy now!

Yeah... so the reason these got finished up is because not too much needed to be done. My cavalry will be fielded in full force (no multibasing planned currently), as all of my cavalry is on slotted bases. 

The cloth on the riders' right was painted white to get my purple/white army colors into the unit a little more... and I think that was the only real new painting that happened. Everything else was just touchups here and there.

Then washes were used. Brown on the cloaks and black on horses and armor. And then more black wash on the guns to highlight the indentations... though, now that I look at it... those tube things should probably be painted metal, not wood, as they are tubes for the bullets to come out of. Oops. Maybe these guys need a little more work after all... we'll see how motivated I am to fix that mistake.


My cough is almost completely gone, and stuff stopped oozing out of my head yesterday... so I should be back posting and hobbying (and playing!) more in the very near future. Much more hobby progress to be wrapped up and posted soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment